Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Headlight washer pump
Greetings..

Here it is:
The attack on my first Berlingo issue.

When I bought the car, the mister said that there was a small failure in the left headlight, that maybe the wires had burned or something and he had bought the part and blah blah blah.
Anyways after I had "fixed" it the way he suggested, I replace the fuse for the left headlight (which shares it with the headlight washer pump), turn the car on and voilaa, the headlight works but hold on!!, if the headlight is on the washers are on, ALL THE TIME!!
I need to take fuse out in order to stop spraying.

Some clarifications:
Headlight washer means the liquid spray as for the windshield.
Windshield and rear window washers work normally

I was thinking it could be the relay for the washer pump.. but if somebody has any ideas, I'd like to hear them, thanks
1999 Berlingo 1.8i
Sounds like the 12v to the headlights is somehow hard wired directly to the pump motor - bypassing the circuit that would normally activate the pump on demand (this assumes that the pump is off when the headlights are off). I'm not familiar with this model of Berli but also assume that normally the headlight washer operates independently of whether or not the lights are switched on. I'd get a wiring diagram and determine exactly what the repair you carried out does.
How did he suggest how you fix it?

Somewhere along the line you have a live short to the washer pump which is in front of the stalk if that makes sense.
I guess there is a few ways to fix this problem, I have thought of bypassing the connection with a relay, but why to start messing with something that don't need.... yet.

Homeruk: stalk? dont know what you mean, google translate says tallo (stem, plant part). can you elaborate?

3rensho, indeed you asume right, they both should work independently. Although, they share same fuse from factory.
For the diagram, I normally get the haynes manuals for all my cars, but in this case, ones I have found specify that dont deal with 1.8, I don't know if it changes that much from 1.6 (can anybody tell me?)

I'll start by following wires...

BTW, I forgot to mention that my left headlight long beam still works...different fuse.
1999 Berlingo 1.8i
In this case a stalk refers to a lever like the one you use to push up or down to indicate left or right turn or the one you use to turn on the windshield wipers. Translation is a real art form and google falls well short in many instances.