Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bad starting
hallo 
can  someone give me an idea as to why my diesel van is having problems starting when facing uphill. lots of fuel ,starts ok  normally , but does stutter in first start up but is fine when  every other time. 
welcome to the forum jon can you tell us a bit more info engine you have and year mite be a none return valve or air getting in to the fuel line or a blocked fuel filter ?
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

year 2000 1.9 diesel .dont know what model engine . not hdi.the workshop manual shows dw engines  ,not them so must be xud. 

so ,in the morning ,plugs on starts  ok but a bit rough and some smoke  (unburnt diesel, blackish ),give it a few revs and she's fine ' on tick over  she runs ok  but just a hint of a miss. pick up the revs just a little and it more like a petrol engine  miss pick up the revs  a touch more and its brill

she has always started 1st time  until the other day facing up a steep hill .it took some starting and always sweet when warm .

any help or pointers appreciated 
I'm just thinking aloud & it sounds as if the fuel is running back to the tank.The question is why/how? A small leak will let in air when stopped.Look for damp/wet spots in the fuel lines.How long does it stand before the problem arises?Are you running it on veggie oil? I hope this helps. Confused
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
yes sounds like air ,but no leaks as yet and the pump is strong

will put a one way  filter on for uphill starts ,  also changing fuel filter , but cant find the bleed  off on pump. some are auto but i think xud's are manual. where the oval diesel filter sits there is  a pump , would that leak  air in .
still a bad start, but running fine, read the manual . no help
(01-03-2015, 08:49 PM)jongreenaway Wrote:  yes sounds like air ,but no leaks as yet and the pump is strong

will put a one way  filter on for uphill starts ,  also changing fuel filter , but cant find the bleed  off on pump. some are auto but i think xud's are manual. where the oval diesel filter sits there is  a pump , would that leak  air in .

Yes , they can leak air in, and don't always leak fuel out,

and if no bleeder on pump its an auto bleeder.
have not had time to get to check through the van apart from no leaks of fuel, cant find any

the last 2 days i have had problems starting, wont start on key after glows plugs on. 1st day used hand pump ok. pump the primer on oval filter housing till hard on second day did not start until second attempt when i kicked the throttle pedal and she fired up fine , but i did hear a strange sound in the dash , sounded like a cd player starting up (buzzing) turned the van off and it started fine no buzzing.
really i need some good direction as where to start without pulling the van to bits , i'm no mechie
feel rather silly . pops came out early one morning ,cause he is sick off me priming the van to start , one look ,said leak off pipes BOY  all fixed 
As I always say,look  for the simple faults first.At least your wallet stays intact.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy