Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shuddering when braking
Hi All,   
          I have a Berlingo Multispace 05 ( 1.9 d ) 147 k on the clock .    Last November 2015 I noticed a shuddering when braking , I took the car to my local garage and they said it was the brake discs , they changed the discs and the car was alright for 3 weeks when the problem came back again . The garage checked the discs and one of the discs had warped on the drivers side , the garage then changed another set of discs, again the problem came back after roughly 3 - 4 weeks again ? The garage then changed the discs again ( 3rd set ) but this time they replaced with more  expensive discs and they also changed the calipers .  Guess what .. The problem is back again !!  I've literally given up now and I just ''put up'' with the fault . Any Ideas .. Please !!  

Huh Huh Huh
Sounds like a suspension problem to me, no expert but have they checked the wishbones and lower ball joints? does it steer correctly?
(17-02-2016, 06:18 PM)martlg Wrote:  Sounds like a suspension problem to me, no expert but have they checked the wishbones and lower ball joints? does it steer correctly?

Thanks for that , I'll take it back this week and get them to check it out .  There is no problem with the steering whatsoever though ?
If you carry a lot of weight or if you are hard on your brakes, or have oversize wheels you will get more heat build up. If your rear brake compensator is stuck or something else wrong with rear brakes, you would be relying on the front brakes too much.
I would start with the rear brakes and make sure they are working correctly.

EDIT: Also make sure front brakes aren't binding, but I would have thought they would have checked that.
When you stop in traffic or any point do you sit with your foot on the brake peddle if you do the heat in the pad's will warp the disc not saying you do it's just a point .
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

Could be play on a ball joint. With the roadwheel in in its normal position (not jacked) give the top of the tyre a good tug and push to see if you can rock it inward and outward. Any free movement could be the wheel bearing, the strut, or the lower ball joint, and further investigation is warranted to find out which. If the ball joint it needs prompt attention as it's a safety issue. Then rock the wheel in the steering direction to see if the track rod end is OK.

Tyre edge wear is also symptomatic of this.

If it sounds unlikely that a garage would change the disc without noticing a worn ball joint- perfectly feasible. The play often disappears when the vehicle is jacked.
(18-02-2016, 10:28 PM)IanR Wrote:  Could be play on a ball joint. With the roadwheel in in its normal position (not jacked) give the top of the tyre a good tug and push to see if you can rock it inward and outward. Any free movement could be the wheel bearing, the strut, or the lower ball joint, and further investigation is warranted to find out which. If the ball joint it needs prompt attention as it's a safety issue. Then rock the wheel in the steering direction to see if the track rod end is OK.

Tyre edge wear is also symptomatic of this.

If it sounds unlikely that a garage would change the disc without noticing a worn ball joint- perfectly feasible. The play often disappears when the vehicle is jacked.

But the OP statedwas OK for 3 weeks and 1 disc confirmed as warped again
Same disc warping each time ???
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
(17-02-2016, 06:05 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Hi All,   
          I have a Berlingo Multispace 05 ( 1.9 d ) 147 k on the clock .    Last November 2015 I noticed a shuddering when braking , I took the car to my local garage and they said it was the brake discs , they changed the discs and the car was alright for 3 weeks when the problem came back again . The garage checked the discs and one of the discs had warped on the drivers side , the garage then changed another set of discs, again the problem came back after roughly 3 - 4 weeks again ? The garage then changed the discs again ( 3rd set ) but this time they replaced with more  expensive discs and they also changed the calipers .  Guess what .. The problem is back again !!  I've literally given up now and I just ''put up'' with the fault . Any Ideas .. Please !!  

Huh Huh Huh

Was the hubs cleaned up before new discs were fitted?.
In my experience a lot of cases of "warped discs" is actually due to a build up of material on the disc face rather than the disc actually being warped. Especially when it occurs fairly soon after the discs and pads have been replaced.

There is also the possibility of them not being fitted particularly well.

But as it is only one side and he cal opera have been changed then I can only think there is a problem with the hub on that side and the disc has excessive runout and is touching the pads every revolution and heating up one part of the disc.
Silver Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte