Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seatbelt pre-tensioner wiring help please
Hi All,

I have a 2004 Multispace HDi, normal UK right hand drive with no mods apart from wheels.

The airbag light is on. Lexia tells me this is "right hand side seatbelt pretensioner open circuit".  I believe this is the wiring under the seat to the airbag ECU that's hidden under the centre console by the gear lever.

I've unplugged the connector under the seat and bridged it with a 2.2ohm resistor, which should, if the wiring isn't damaged, trick the ECU into putting the airbag light out.  It didn't.

Can someone tell me if that wire that goes into the floor to the airbag ECU plugs into the airbag ECU, or is hard-wired into it? I believe it's damaged further towards the ECU as years of getting umbrellas, feet, random child associated crap and so on has pulled on the wire once to often and damaged it.

So - is that wire hard-wired into the airbag ECU?

How hard it is to remove the seat and centre console to get at the airbag ECU, and that bit of wiring?  I'm capable of doing it if I have some instructions to follow Smile

Thanks in advance.

Growler
The airbag module has a connection plug. Check wiring from underseat plug to the plug at the module.
You can usually get to the airbag module with minimal disruption to centre consul.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Col for this post:
  • Growler73
(16-03-2016, 01:13 PM)Growler73 Wrote:  Hi All,

I have a 2004 Multispace HDi, normal UK right hand drive with no mods apart from wheels.

The airbag light is on. Lexia tells me this is "right hand side seatbelt pretensioner open circuit".  I believe this is the wiring under the seat to the airbag ECU that's hidden under the centre console by the gear lever.

I've unplugged the connector under the seat and bridged it with a 2.2ohm resistor, which should, if the wiring isn't damaged, trick the ECU into putting the airbag light out.  It didn't.

Can someone tell me if that wire that goes into the floor to the airbag ECU plugs into the airbag ECU, or is hard-wired into it? I believe it's damaged further towards the ECU as years of getting umbrellas, feet, random child associated crap and so on has pulled on the wire once to often and damaged it.

How hard it is to remove the seat and centre console to get at the airbag ECU, and that bit of wiring?  I'm capable of doing it if I have some instructions to follow Smile

Thanks in advance.

Growler
Hello, I had an Air Bag saga last year on my 2007 Berlingo Multispace. 

Firstly, might sound a daft question but did you definitely bridge the correct connector under the seat with the 2.2 Ohm resistor? Only asking as there were two connectors under my seat, one was for the seat belt and one for the airbag wiring. Have you tried bridging the connector on the actual seat belt tensioner. The connector is a bit fiddly to get out and normally has a metal spring retaining clip to hold it in.

Assuming you've done all that there is a connector on the Airbag ECU which is under the centre console. It was fairly easy to get out with about 6-8 screws to remove they are all fairly obvious and the gator around the gearstick to un-clip. The seat did not need to come out. 

I would go and look on my Berlingo but unfortunately some idiot decided rear end my Berlingo on the motorway about two weeks and drove straight into the back of me while I was in a traffic queue and my 'lingo is now a write off Sad  and is no longer with me  Cry   

Be aware like anything to do with the airbag system, you must disconnect the battery and leave for about 10-15 minutes to make sure the system is completely "dead" 

Remember as well when disconnecting the battery you must go through the approved BSI shutdown and wake up procedure the are plenty of links if you look around for the approved steps to shut down and wake up the BSI correctly. 

The airbag connector has a retaining clip that is also a lever to lift out the connector.

Have you got a decent wiring diagram to check the wiring to the airbag ECU?

I think this is a link for one?: http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/attachment.php?aid=742

Finally if all the above doesn't lead you anywhere, you might want to look at my previous thread as in my case the fault turned out to be a broken data wire. See my thread here:

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/thread-11787.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Multispacer for this post:
  • Growler73
Photo 
Hi,

To get to the airbag module perform the following steps:

1. Remove all the junk out of the center console box.

2. Undo the two Torx T 20 screws at the legs air outlet, both sides:

3. Pull the air outlets to the sides and remove them.

4. Undo the one T 20 screw at the top of the stuff box:

5. Two T20 screws next to the hand brake:

6. Move the front seats all the way forward and undo two screws at the back of the console:

7. Pull up the back of the console.
8. Un-clip the gearshift gaiter.
9. Pull up (a little bit)  the center of console, disconnect the cigarette lighter and 12V socket. Remove the console. 

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Buki for this post:
  • Growler73
(16-03-2016, 10:37 PM)Multispacer Wrote:  
(16-03-2016, 01:13 PM)Growler73 Wrote:  Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Growler
Hello, I had an Air Bag saga last year on my 2007 Berlingo Multispace. 

Firstly, might sound a daft question but did you definitely bridge the correct connector under the seat with the 2.2 Ohm resistor? Only asking as there were two connectors under my seat, one was for the seat belt and one for the airbag wiring. Have you tried bridging the connector on the actual seat belt tensioner. The connector is a bit fiddly to get out and normally has a metal spring retaining clip to hold it in.

Assuming you've done all that there is a connector on the Airbag ECU which is under the centre console. It was fairly easy to get out with about 6-8 screws to remove they are all fairly obvious and the gator around the gearstick to un-clip. The seat did not need to come out. 

I would go and look on my Berlingo but unfortunately some idiot decided rear end my Berlingo on the motorway about two weeks and drove straight into the back of me while I was in a traffic queue and my 'lingo is now a write off Sad  and is no longer with me  Cry   

Be aware like anything to do with the airbag system, you must disconnect the battery and leave for about 10-15 minutes to make sure the system is completely "dead" 

Remember as well when disconnecting the battery you must go through the approved BSI shutdown and wake up procedure the are plenty of links if you look around for the approved steps to shut down and wake up the BSI correctly. 

The airbag connector has a retaining clip that is also a lever to lift out the connector.

Have you got a decent wiring diagram to check the wiring to the airbag ECU?

I think this is a link for one?: http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/attachment.php?aid=742

Finally if all the above doesn't lead you anywhere, you might want to look at my previous thread as in my case the fault turned out to be a broken data wire. See my thread here:

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/thread-11787.html

Please don't bodge this, do a proper repair. It's your safety at stake (and whoevers buys this car in the future) Why do you think an airbag light is part of the MOT?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Col for this post:
  • Growler73
Thanks for all the great tips guys. I'll attack it at the weekend.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
(16-03-2016, 10:37 PM)Multispacer Wrote:  Firstly, might sound a daft question but did you definitely bridge the correct connector under the seat with the 2.2 Ohm resistor? Only asking as there were two connectors under my seat, one was for the seat belt and one for the airbag wiring. Have you tried bridging the connector on the actual seat belt tensioner. The connector is a bit fiddly to get out and normally has a metal spring retaining clip to hold it in.

It's not a daft question. You sir, are a star. I was bridging the wrong one. When I looked at the other connector I'd somehow missed despite hours under there soldering the other wires, the broken wire to the connector made it bloody obvious what the problem was. 10 mins with the soldering iron, no more airbag light!

A thousand thanks!

(17-03-2016, 04:07 PM)Growler73 Wrote:  
(16-03-2016, 10:37 PM)Multispacer Wrote:  Firstly, might sound a daft question but did you definitely bridge the correct connector under the seat with the 2.2 Ohm resistor? Only asking as there were two connectors under my seat, one was for the seat belt and one for the airbag wiring. Have you tried bridging the connector on the actual seat belt tensioner. The connector is a bit fiddly to get out and normally has a metal spring retaining clip to hold it in.

It's not a daft question. You sir, are a star. I was bridging the wrong one.  When I looked at the other connector I'd somehow missed despite hours under there soldering the other wires, the broken wire to the connector made it bloody obvious what the problem was. 10 mins with the soldering iron, no more airbag light!

A thousand thanks!

Glad to have helped.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Multispacer for this post:
  • Growler73