Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insurance!
The easiest way is to have a removable camping interior. That way it does not need to comply with Dvla rules regarding a camper & car can stay registered as a car & can be insured as a car. Google 'Berlingo boot jump' to get some ideas.
(03-12-2016, 02:57 PM)Col Wrote:  Regarding insurance
If you have modified it to a camper your insurance may be crippling for a new driver with no NCB etc:

Yep, that's what I've discovered. Cheapest quote I could find was double what I'm currently paying. So I thought I'd investigate the boot jump idea thinking that it would be easier and cheaper. Unfortunately not. Every insurer I contacted said they would either class it as a modification or as a camper.
Rather than the camper conversion, what about a teardrop caravan?

Depending on weight of trailer, you may have to take a trailer towing test. Check your licence.

http://www.teardroptrailers.co.uk/
http://www.365campingcaravanning.com/cvanstents.htm
(04-12-2016, 01:52 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  The easiest way is to have a removable camping interior. That way it does not need to comply with Dvla rules regarding a camper & car can stay registered as a car & can be insured as a car. Google 'Berlingo boot jump' to get some ideas.

Agreed, surely if the camping "bits" are not a permanent fixture it can stay registered as a car?

Otherwise, every time you removed it, you would have to re-register it ..........           (sorry, that was a bit of a joke).
Regards to all,
John - (2005 2.0HDi with Modutop roof, mini camper).

(16-05-2016, 07:59 PM)Vicky Sullivan Wrote:  I bought my berlingo yesterday. It's an LPG conversion and year is 2005. My plan is to permanently remove the back seats and at some point kit it out as a camper. I'm struggling to find insurance which covers me to remove the back seats. My current insurance is a great price at 231.00 fully comp but will not cover me once seats are removed. It will also be awhile before it is a fully kitted out camper so not in a position to re register vehicle as camper yet.

Has anyone had this experience and found a good deal? Any advice welcome ?

Vicky

Hi Vicky,
Have a look at this company on ebay:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-CITROE...SwOyJX7XEb

They have converted without taking out the seats so it is still registered as a car.  You may be able to copy some of their ideas and not have to worry to much about re-registering it as a camper.

Good luck
I thought the idea of using the Berlingo as a camper was to have the benefit using as a camper when you need to go camping and use it as a normal 5 seater when your not camping. What does surprise me is the price of the pre converted camper Berlingo's having my 2007 (modutop) for sale in Ireland at 3000 euro only two enquires. and having just bought a 2012 (modutop) Auto I find that the 2007 offers much more room. although the boot camper fits both cars