Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back axle
So how difficult is it to change a back axle? Is it doable on the drive with axle stands and jacks? Any special tools required? My newly bought blingo needs an axle. There's none in any local breakers, The car was cheap enough. I'm considering a recon unit off eBay for £240 +£50 delivery and doing it myself.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
2006 Berlingo 2.0hdi desire daily hack
1998 Xantia Activa turbo for fun.
It can be a bit of a pig to do,if bolts rusty,I thought about doing mine,but ended up taking it to a garage ,£120 to fit it,
I did mine on the drive with a couple of axle stands. You need long torx bits, 50mm (I THINK SO CHECK). The problem I had was that one captive nut spun in the box section, so I had to cut a hole in the load bed floor to weld it back in place.
The book says that you have to dismantle the rear brakes, but you can get away with just unbolting the back plates and the limiting valve as long as you keep them supported with bungee straps or similar.
Not a very hard job, but be careful where you go for the replacement, I M axles are excellent in my experience.
An IM axle has been delivered to me for £300 and a mate organised to fit it with me on Saturday. I thought it would be better with two of us under there holding an axle up whilst doing the job.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
(19-08-2016, 01:32 AM)david.mckay.3760 Wrote:  An IM axle has been delivered to me for £300 and a mate organised to fit it with me on Saturday. I thought it would be better with two of us under there holding an axle up whilst doing the job.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

Good luck, they are not too difficult, just a little unwieldy . Definitely a lot easier with two people .
Make sure you have the brake compensator valve is fully open when bleeding the rear brake's keep the rear axle on the stand's well doing this it will help get the air out.
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

(19-08-2016, 02:58 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  Make sure you have the brake compensator valve is fully open when bleeding the rear brake's keep the rear axle on the stand's well doing this it will help get the air out.

You shouldn't have to bleed the brakes! Unbolt back plates and compensator, un clip all brake pipes, undo flexi mount and swap axle, refitting is the reverse of removal...
I'm not intending touching the brakes. Going to do it as dumdum suggests. All set for starting at 9 tomorrow morning. That will be the first

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Let us know how u got on,,