Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.09 Average
PITA Spare Wheel Carrier
Oh you stupid Berlingo, this is the second time you have done this on me.....

When we first met, you let me down with a puncture and then I could not release your spare wheel carrier and the stupid wheel brace cum tool-to-almost-fit-in-the stupid-slot-to-the-bolt would not stay in the slot. Your threads had also seized...

I persevered and covered your threads lavishly with copper-slip but now 18 months later and I want to get the spare wheel out again and you have seized up again.....

This time I am going to saw your F**KING Head off and you will be replaced with a sensible hexagonal nut and threaded rod....

Don't do this on me again.....:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Confusedtudy: Edit the spelling Andy it's come :drool::drool::whistle:
2011 (61) Multispace XTR 110 in Kyanos Blue
my came off lovely today, and come to think of it two weeks ago. but i do admit that the tool is a sack of shite and i just use a bloody adjustable lol
I remove mine completely every year,slosh Waxoyl on both threaded bits & reassemble.Never had trouble.An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.(or the metric equivalent)
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(21-05-2012, 08:17 PM)ron Wrote:  I remove mine completely every year,slosh Waxoyl on both threaded bits & reassemble.Never had trouble.An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.(or the metric equivalent)

Ron, trust me, I did lavish attention within the first week of ownership after wifey decided to collect a puncture. That thread was coated with copperslip and it was brushed into the threads.

Today the pin was free most of the way, enough to be able to drop the carrier off but jammed up on the last 2-3 inches, with a bit of perseverance it will liberate but that stupid slot up top is a real Pi**er and got to go I'm afraid.

By the way, those who doubt my spelling see here
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cum
Strangely enough, my undercarriage was loose today (ooh, err, Missus). Maybe I was just too generous with the old Waxoyl. Or I hadn't done it up properly.Confusedillyme:

Anyway, I had a persistent (hence v. annoying) squeak coming from my rear (ooh, err, ....) so I had to take a ride in the back - I was sure it was just the wood lining in my van, but no, b****y spare wheel carrier. Tightened it up and we'll hear what happens tomorrow. It's been nippin' my ear for weeks too ...
(21-05-2012, 05:11 PM)andy-womble Wrote:  Oh you stupid Berlingo, this is the second time you have done this on me.....

When we first met, you let me down with a puncture and then I could not release your spare wheel carrier and the stupid wheel brace cum tool-to-almost-fit-in-the stupid-slot-to-the-bolt would not stay in the slot. Your threads had also seized...

I persevered and covered your threads lavishly with copper-slip but now 18 months later and I want to get the spare wheel out again and you have seized up again.....

This time I am going to saw your F**KING Head off and you will be replaced with a sensible hexagonal nut and threaded rod....

Don't do this on me again.....:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:
Fastener factors on your local industrial estate would be able to sort you out something in stainless steel.
The guys in ours get bored with day to day stuff and they absolutely love making up solutions for things like this.Confusedunny:
They gather round in groups and bicker over the best idea.
They've done me loads of things like central heating tools,lawnmower mods and a gearstick extension for my C15
If copaslip somehow is failing in your environment you should go for A4 grade kit.
Not rocket science by any stretch and a bit of a no-brainer really. Local Toolstation stocks 12mm diameter threaded rod in 1 metre lengths at £1.98 for zinc plated mild steel or £6.62 for stainless. Not as though it is an ocean going yacht in salt water environment....
(22-05-2012, 10:04 AM)andy-womble Wrote:  Not rocket science by any stretch and a bit of a no-brainer really. Local Toolstation stocks 12mm diameter threaded rod in 1 metre lengths at £1.98 for zinc plated mild steel or £6.62 for stainless. Not as though it is an ocean going yacht in salt water environment....

If copaslip is failing you then zincplate will have no chance!
Something is amiss there-I copaslipped the towbar bolts on my MK2.
Three salty winters (and the 2007 floodwater) later the bracketry was caked in filth but underneath the bolt threads were fresh as a daisy.

Also,dissimilar metals,can corrode themselves together at the contact point through an electrolytic reaction.
Id be looking at doing a stainless mod on the hook as well.
Maybe a complete remake or just somehow crimping a stainless nut into it.
I think that maybe the problem is down to me being a bit lenient with the copperslip. Hindsight, a marvelous word.####

Further problems, oh yes the original pin is 12mm. diameter but it is not the normal run of the mill but a metric fine thread.... can't use my threaded rod idea.

Unfortunately I can no longer weld due to medical condition so looks like a new pin from the dealer, mucho copperslip and police the situation....