Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
MOT FAILED!!!!!! Horn is posessed
(14-09-2012, 06:34 PM)geoff Wrote:  I've just had the steering wheel off today for the usual trouble of no horn when driving and horn working when the key is removed.  I cleaned up the earth connection and now have a working horn when driving.

If you look at the photo you will see a red wire which is the feed to the horn switch ( air bag unit ) and the black cable is the earth return back through the right hand ribbon cable. ( the bottom of the airbag has four brass contact points which make with corresponding contact points on the steering wheel, the black wire then completes the circuit with the ribbon ).
The black cable has a connector which pushes into a hole in the body of the steering wheel and it is at this point that a bad earth connection can be found. This original connection is a poor affair with little contact pressure and a small contact area, I cleaned up the wheel and connector at this point and reassembled to test and found it now worked. Following this I drilled a small hole in the wheel and connected the black wire to it with a self tapping screw for a more secure and permanent fix.
Hopefully the above will be of some interest to you.
[Image: DSC05062.jpg]
[Image: DSC05066.jpg]

how do you get the cover off Geoff..
Look for the 3 holes in the back of the steering wheel (approx 6mm) If you insert a flatblade screwdriver and push it into the "u" shaped retaining spring to move it over, as seen in top photo above (looks like a coat hanger bent into a square) it will release the airbag unit. It takes a bit of practice, and you will have to *fish* for the spring through each hole in turn. Some wheels may only have 2 holes,
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Col for this post:
  • Owen Moose
(06-10-2015, 01:51 AM)Col Wrote:  Look for the 3 holes in the back of the steering wheel (approx 6mm) If you insert a flatblade screwdriver and push it into the "u" shaped retaining spring to move it over, as seen in top photo above (looks like a coat hanger bent into a square) it will release the airbag unit. It takes a bit of practice, and you will have to *fish* for the spring through each hole in turn. Some wheels may only have 2 holes,

thanks col
(14-09-2012, 06:34 PM)geoff Wrote:  I've just had the steering wheel off today for the usual trouble of no horn when driving and horn working when the key is removed.  I cleaned up the earth connection and now have a working horn when driving.

If you look at the photo you will see a red wire which is the feed to the horn switch ( air bag unit ) and the black cable is the earth return back through the right hand ribbon cable. ( the bottom of the airbag has four brass contact points which make with corresponding contact points on the steering wheel, the black wire then completes the circuit with the ribbon ).
The black cable has a connector which pushes into a hole in the body of the steering wheel and it is at this point that a bad earth connection can be found. This original connection is a poor affair with little contact pressure and a small contact area, I cleaned up the wheel and connector at this point and reassembled to test and found it now worked. Following this I drilled a small hole in the wheel and connected the black wire to it with a self tapping screw for a more secure and permanent fix.
Hopefully the above will be of some interest to you.
[Image: DSC05062.jpg]
[Image: DSC05066.jpg]

Thank you so much for this info. had this problem on holiday in France last week (horn works with no key in, didnt work when driving) . using your photos & following your instructions I've sucessfully fixed it. drilled hole & wrapped wire around a self tapping screw & washer. Pleased with myself as I'm the world's worst car mechanic.
(06-10-2015, 01:51 AM)Col Wrote:  Look for the 3 holes in the back of the steering wheel (approx 6mm) If you insert a flatblade screwdriver and push it into the "u" shaped retaining spring to move it over, as seen in top photo above (looks like a coat hanger bent into a square) it will release the airbag unit. It takes a bit of practice, and you will have to *fish* for the spring through each hole in turn. Some wheels may only have 2 holes,

thanks for that info too, as with your info & geoff's info as mentioned in post above I've fixed my horn.
cheers
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Owen Moose for this post:
  • brodfather11
Hi there, about the horn!
My horn failed under normal use with the engine running.
Went to one of the famed Citroen dealers and they "analysed" it for me.
It turns out to be common problem. The horn is earthed through a roller needle bearing halfway'ish down the steering column. The bearing acts as a spacer between the outer and inner part of the column.
The bearing wears, the earth fails, presto, no horn earth. If you test by turning the engine off then swing the steering wheel over to the right against the lock and leave the key in place, the horn should work. According to the dealer this proves to them that the bearing has failed in its earthing responsibility . . . . . new column only . . . . . . £530 fitted only!!
But, can be solved with a piece of sprung steel + jubilee clip + 30 minutes patience.
Yet another grateful berlinger!

most tricky job was the bottom clip for the airbag and refitting the cowling, the top piece just didn't want to clip back in, I now have a couple of bits of broken plastic rattling around. still I reckon they'll pop out of their own accord soon enough.

Many thanks
Chris
DINGO;  "can be solved with a piece of sprung steel + jubilee clip + 30 minutes patience"

I have the same problem,  and have tried all the above suggestions to no avail so far,  I earthed the bottom of the steering column to the power steering unit which worked for a while then stopped.

I think I have two problems  one is the bad earth to the column and also the frail floppy electrical connection behind the air bag which seems intermittent,  what was your suggestion in post (14-03-16) just in case I hadn't tried it,  thanks.
Success, I followed the example of cutting off the frail floppy earthing clip behind the airbag and drilling a 3mm hole in the central alloy casting, I then crimped a tagged washer on the earth wire and screwed it in with a PK screw.

Seems ok at the moment, the hole through the alloy casing took nearly half an hour to drill as it was nearly half an inch thick.
I have read of people curing the hooter earth problem by earthing at the hooter end instead of the steering wheel.
So where does this bit go then ?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ffrenchie for this post:
  • ians_lingo