Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 2.43 Average
Depollution System Faulty
Berlingo Van (new shape) 08 - 55k on the clock. 1.6 HDI diesel

Few months ago the depollotuion system faulty light came up with the engine management light. Very temperamental though.

I added DPF cleaner to the fuel tank and had no lights on for 3 weeks. Started the van 3 days ago and the lights were back. Drove a few miles up the road and engine cut out.

It will no longer go above 40mph or 2-3 revs without losing power to the engine.

Now its been in a private garage and his diagnostics are saying Fuel Injector number 2 is the problem (£400 for a new one) but this may not however resolve the problem. He has also mentioned it may be a High Pressure Pump.

Was driving fine the day before (smooth, full power and no noises etc) and now suddenly overnight i have a van that wont go over 40 without the engine cutting out.

Any ideas anyone as im reluctant to spend £500 plus for something that may not resolve the issue.

Thanks
Hi! I had exactly the same symptons with my XTR 110 diesel coming home Sunday night, same warning light & 'fault antipollution' on display. Limped home in exactly the same way as you describe with yours. In morning I tried it & it ran for a few secs & then cut out. A call to Saga breakdown brought out AA man who plugged in his reader & said EGR valve fault. He towed it to my Citroen garage. Can't fault their service as I got the car back yesterday afternoon after paying the £538 bill. This for fitting new EGR valve. The old valve, had failed mechanically, he showed me mushroom shaped bit that came adrift inside EGR, this keeping valve open all the time & directing gasses back into engine at all times not just on tickover & overun.

I do have a good Citroen garage but they do cost more. they charged £230 just for the part & yet I see Valeo EGR valve for 1.6hdi on ebay for £90 & other suppliers have them for £150. Is this just Citroen taking the piss or are the cheaper parts fakes or rebuilds I wonder?

The good outcome is that it was established exactly what the problem was & it is now fixed so perhaps it might be a good idea to take yours to a Citroen garage, then you do have some comeback as really they have to fix the fault. The problem with non franchised garages, I have found in the past is their cheapness comes from using cheap parts & also that they also charge by the hour for working out how to do the job as well as doing it. If the problem on yours is EGR valve, it is located behind engine & is very difficult to get at. I would not want anybody who was not familiar with the job to attempt it.
Just a little footnote. I emailed Citroen complaining about the premature failure of egr valve & they are reimbursing me cost of parts, £309 as a 'goodwill gesture' so cost to me is reduced to £230, so all good. How are you getting on with yours?
I had the same warning, after 2 hours of searching by the main dealer it turned out to be a faulty sensor rather than the egr valve. Fixed under warranty.
I Had similar fault, Engine light came on and on central display it read "Anti pollution system failure", the engine went into Limp Home mode. After asking a few people it was all doom & gloom telling me it will cost anywhere from £1500 - 1800 because it will be the DPF!!!
Rang Dealer as vehicle was only 5 days out of warranty and he said it wouldn't be covered anyway - but hinted it may be the diesel filter.We changed the Diesel filter and the air filter and this cured the problem, the diesel filter was about 20 odd quid and the air filter about a fiver i think! The air filter was only changed 18 months previous and had only done around 10000 since previous service, what surprised me was, it was really black, one of the dirtiest filters i've seen, I mainly do Town work.Hope this helps someone, vehicle is Berlingo L1 Van 90 Yrs Special edition 59 Reg, had since new.
(17-09-2012, 02:02 PM)londongeeza Wrote:  Berlingo Van (new shape) 08 - 55k on the clock. 1.6 HDI diesel

Few months ago the depollotuion system faulty light came up with the engine management light. Very temperamental though.

I added DPF cleaner to the fuel tank and had no lights on for 3 weeks. Started the van 3 days ago and the lights were back. Drove a few miles up the road and engine cut out.

It will no longer go above 40mph or 2-3 revs without losing power to the engine.

Now its been in a private garage and his diagnostics are saying Fuel Injector number 2 is the problem (£400 for a new one) but this may not however resolve the problem. He has also mentioned it may be a High Pressure Pump.

Was driving fine the day before (smooth, full power and no noises etc) and now suddenly overnight i have a van that wont go over 40 without the engine cutting out.

Any ideas anyone as im reluctant to spend £500 plus for something that may not resolve the issue.

Thanks

Hi there,

Just In case anybody else have this problem. 
I was checking this forum for solutions for the same issue with my Berlingo 2009.

But at the same time I was trying to clear the engine code with my IPhone apps. I have two apps: iOBD2 and OBD Scanner. 
I tried iOBD2 first, it showed me the faulty code but wouldn't clear it. Then I tried OBD Scanner, it showed the codes and cleared it (you have to turn on the key, but DO NOT start the engine, it will show the faulty codes with the engine running but will not clear it). 
So far it running fine, no more issues, not more engine check lights, running absolutely perfectly. 

I have had these apps for few years and used in the last 3 cars that I've had. 

Hope this will help some one. 

Blessings
I had the same problem in France this year with our C4 grand Picasso - garage there replaced high pressure pump, injectors and did a full fuel service.

Problem was still there and i was stuck in France with my family for 3 extra days - Turned out to be the fuel pressure sensor. which if i recall is about £80 over here but cost me the thick end of 200 odd euros from the thieving Parisians
Previous Berlingo: 2015 1.6 L1850 90ps In Artic Steel inc Look Pack and Lighting Pack.

Previous Berlingo: K9 2018 Driver M 100ps in Platinum Grey with Safety Pack

Current Berlingo: 2021 K9 Driver M Pro 130ps EAT8 in Platinum Grey with Safety Pack
(02-11-2015, 12:37 PM)Tree Wrote:  I had the same problem in France this year with our C4 grand Picasso - garage there replaced high pressure pump, injectors and did a full fuel service.

Problem was still there and i was stuck in France with my family for 3 extra days - Turned out to be the fuel pressure sensor. which if i recall is about £80 over here but cost me the thick end of 200 odd euros from the thieving Parisians

Here goes another ancient thread resurrection!

My 2008 C4GP has just started showing "Depollution System Faulty" along with the orange engine symbol, so I dug up this informative thread.

It seems that this issue relates to diesels, but my car is a 1.8l petrol. Surely it doesn't have a DPF!!!?

I only get the dash warnings, no limp mode or other problems so far.

Any thoughts welcome Smile
53 1.4i MS MPV RIP
53 1.6 MS Desire RIP
08 C4GP 1.9 VTR+
Might be the CAT or Oxygen sensor? Probably best to get a code reader and see what that says?
Dohh! Of course. I will report back, work permitting.
53 1.4i MS MPV RIP
53 1.6 MS Desire RIP
08 C4GP 1.9 VTR+