Thread Rating:
  • 39 Vote(s) - 2.92 Average
Will 5w30 oil be OK in 1.9D Berlingo?
Hi, from a previous diesel vehicle I owned I have a remaining gallon of 5w30 oil. Will this be OK to use in my 1.9D Berlingo?
Many thanks.
Hi matt, to be 100% sure, we have a document in our resources section entitled something along the lines of all reccommended fluids for PSA cars, that will tell you.

Failing that, someone will confirm it with the same engine.
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

Thanks Andre, What are "PSA" cars?
I've downloaded the document but I can't really make sense of it... Or maybe I just don't want to! Blimey crikey!
PSA is the 'group' that owns pug and citroen!

Drop me your Reg to PM and ill get back to you on this thread.

Just click the PM button below this post Smile
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

(30-04-2011, 01:03 PM)MattFreeman Wrote:  Hi, from a previous diesel vehicle I owned I have a remaining gallon of 5w30 oil. Will this be OK to use in my 1.9D Berlingo?
Many thanks.

YES........ I have the same van and have been using fully synthetic oil for the last 6 years with excellent results, especially when it comes to cold starting..Big Grin

Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Thanks Adam. Fantastic.
Is a 5w30 always a synthetic oil then?
Judging by what you say about cold starts I assume it's a thinner oil?

Will it be suitable for top ups with the current oil that's in there?
I assume the naturally aspirated 1.9D engines are pretty robust and can run on most oils.
mine have always gone on 10w/40 or even 15w/40 - both have started well and both have had a lot of use with no ill effects what-so-ever.

The engine is (from my reading) fundamentally very basic, so I don't personally think that it's going to do any harm at all to use a cheaper, more basic oil as long as you keep it clean.
(01-05-2011, 09:53 AM)MattFreeman Wrote:  Thanks Adam. Fantastic.
Is a 5w30 always a synthetic oil then?
Judging by what you say about cold starts I assume it's a thinner oil?

Will it be suitable for top ups with the current oil that's in there?
I assume the naturally aspirated 1.9D engines are pretty robust and can run on most oils.

The numbers refer to viscosity only eg: 5 (cold) 30 (hot). Semi synth oils are usually thicker than the above ratings... so it was my assumption that you had synthetic???

Thinner oils assist the cranking of the engine when really cold, and yes this is a thinner oil than say 10w 40 grade..

I would never advise mixing oil types or brands..... and buy the best oil you can afford as the robust nature of the 1.9d relies on regular oil and filter changes as well as a good engine flush once a year.

I change oil and filter every 6000 miles, but that's just me!!

Smile

Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
(01-05-2011, 12:42 PM)adam3rdcanvey Wrote:  I change oil and filter every 6000 miles, but that's just me!!

Smile

I did the oil in my 106 every 3-4k miles.. Didn't cost me much as my friend has a garage, and I'd simply buy a part of one of his bulk containers and when i'd worked through it, buy some more.

Paid dividends though. The car is now on 177,000 miles, which for a little 1 1/2 litre knocker, isn't too bad at all. Especially as it's not been apart.

My mantra when it comes to servicing is that "Oil is cheaper than bearings."

It's a Drivetec semi-synthetic 5w30

I've always done oil and filter changes once a year on all my cars, I rarely drive more than 5,000miles a year. I work from home and also ride a motorcycle.
So I think I'll continue on this path.
I've never done an engine flush though. That sounds interesting, I'll have to read into it.

This car's got a new oil filter screwed on... and the gentleman seems honest about his cam belt assurances, he also told me it had a recent oil change, so it seems a shame for me to just do it again for no reason. I don't know what grade oil is in there at the moment, so any suggestions on what I should use for top ups?

Perhaps I should pop down to the autofactors and buy a gallon of 10w40?

My Dad said I should just throw the 5w30 in there and stop complaining! HaHa. Perhaps he speaks some truth?