Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Turbo gone again!!!
Hi,

well 4 months and 4k miles after having the turbo replaced, it looks like its gone again:brickwall:

To cut a long storey short In Jan I bought a 08 partner tepee with 40k on the clock and a full PSA main dealer history. Back in Late April the turbo went and was replaced under warranty by the garage I bought it from, who sought the advice of a PSA indy, and seemed to talk the talk in replacing the turbo in line with the tech bulletins.

On Wednesday it went again, turbo was screaming and on slowing down and getting to the next roundabout there was no power.

Waiting to hear back from the garage to see if they will repair it again under warranty. But to be honest at the moment I'm not sure I want it back.
could just be an intercooler pipe came off
Our member 'Lighty' is an expert where turbo replacement is concerned.
He's done over a hundred and has yet to have a come back.....may be worth
having a chat with him.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
Presumably replacement was not done properly? Tbh from what I've read about this unless turbo is replaced by main dealer workshop I would be tending to trade car in soonest after the next turbo replacement. Good luck with it anyway.
(15-09-2013, 08:39 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  Presumably replacement was not done properly? Tbh from what I've read about this unless turbo is replaced by main dealer workshop I would be tending to trade car in soonest after the next turbo replacement. Good luck with it anyway.

And why would you suppose that a main dealer is the only person who can change a Turbo successfully :brickwall:
As it happens the garage that changed the OP's turbo is a main dealer, but not a PSA one. However , their new range of vans does come with the 1.6 hdi range of engines fitted :whistle:

As it happens, I advised the original garage regarding replacement of the OP's turbo, with step by step instructions so that this would not happen.
Unfortunately they did not follow these EXACTLY, AND DID NOT REMOVE THE GAUZE FROM THE FEED PIPE.
Now having worked for at many dealers, I can understand why this was the case. They fitted a new feed pipe with new gauze filter which was apparently modified, so,they obviously saw no need to remove it. Unluckily for the OP & them the result was a 4K mile failure of the brand new turbo that they fitted.
Possibly in some cases they may have got away with it, and tbh they are a very competent workshop.
This time they are going to,remove the gauze, and everything should be good.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Lighty for this post:
  • addo, lennythelion, Ol'Jeffers
I hope they backflush the snot out of that motor's oilways! Surprised it failed so soon.
"If" the new gauze blocked up in 4k miles, then surely there's a whole load of gunk in the engine and the problems not really been fixed and the issue isn't the gauze?

It sounds a bit like the remove the thermostat from an overheating car "fix"?
(16-09-2013, 01:08 PM)jamesg Wrote:  "If" the new gauze blocked up in 4k miles, then surely there's a whole load of gunk in the engine and the problems not really been fixed and the issue isn't the gauze?

It sounds a bit like the remove the thermostat from an overheating car "fix"?

Well that's a good point, but they assured me that the engine was immaculate inside, and they did remove the sump to check it all. I can assure you that they would have, I have had a similar issue with a Ford Focus with the psa engine in it, we did not remove the filter and the turbo failed within 3 months. It only takes a few small particles to block the gauze up, so basically it is a very poor design, and not one of the cars I have repaired has failed again since this has been done. So I get you " thermostat" idea, but not really the same in this case, as the gauze serves no usefull purpose at all.
(16-09-2013, 11:43 AM)Lighty Wrote:  And why would you suppose that a main dealer is the only person who can change a Turbo successfully ?
I didn't, but my line of thinking is thus. If the job is done at a Peugeot main dealer workshop then one would at least hope the job is done using correct procedure. From what you say this one did not. One would also expect the job to be guaranteed & in event of dispute due to premature failure one might have recourse to Peugeot UK.

From what I have read about replacement turbo failures on these engines if mine fails & it appears ok at the moment at 4.5yrs old 50k miles with fsh from Citroen I would be looking to trade the car in soon after repair.
(16-09-2013, 11:43 AM)Lighty Wrote:  They fitted a new feed pipe with new gauze filter which was apparently modified, so,they obviously saw no need to remove it.
I'm trying to work this one out. Presumabley this modified feed pipe is fitted to all newer 1.6 diesels so why should fitting it cause the turbo to fail? Do you mean that due to the possibility of sludge/debris still remaining in the engine the gauze should be removed from the feed pipe fitted to an engine that is having a replacement turbo fitted, then presumably there is the possibility of debris reach the turbo bearing, would that not harm it?