Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Air bag light.
Hi,could anyone advise on the MOT new regs for airbag light please .I have no light coming on at all ,would this be a failier or advisory? it seems to be a bit of a grey area .Thanks in advance .
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to bobflem for this post:
  • addo
As far as I understand it, all the lights on the dash must come on, then go out. Though how a tester would know there is a light that should be lit when it isn't I don't know. My last MOT had an advisary for the airbag light. Think the rules had not been fully active at the time.
When you switch on ignition the a/bag light should illuminate. Check that there isn't a piece of black tape blanking the light in the speedo. :thumbsup:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
I've had a look in the instrument cluster looks like someone has removed (unsoldered) the led's .Is this a failure if no check light comes on when the ignition is switch on ?
Yes If the tester is clued up and they see it (which they should be). What is more important though is that the previous owner has removed the led most likely because this has been lit constantly.
I would first replace the led in the speedo or get another set of clocks but both of these are not straight forward. An led is directional and has to be soldered the correct way round for it to work and if replacing the full clock set then the mileage will go sky high as the BSI will add together your original mileage + whats stored on the replacement set. This can be corrected by someone who can provide a "mileage correction service". This is not illegal if it is put back to the original mileage.
Then the fun begins with finding the airbag fault, of course if it is lit constantly. A lexia read will point to this but there are easy checks you can do. There are plenty of posts for "air bag light" on the forum, try a search.
Get the led problem sorted and then let us know if it is lit all the time. :thumbsup:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
If the light has been removed because it was constantly lit, it means the airbag will not function in the event of an accident. Me, I'd want it sorting.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.