Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
EGR solenoid
Hi all, been guesting for a while but joined today.I have a 53' 1.9 LX [ i know] 114,000 miles.The egr solenoid buzzies for about 10 secs after ignition turned off. Any input would be appreciated.
hi there.. mine buzzes for more like a minute..

dosconnecting battey has no effect.

it stops if i pull the pipe off that goes to egr valve...the noise is actually caused by pressure or vacuum but i have never found anyone who could say why it does it!

did you ever have any luck?
That EGR is vacuum operated. When you turn off engine
there is no more vacuum generated. Because no hose joint can be
100% percent air tight vacuum start to fail. In EGR there is small plate with spring
that operates valve. Vacuum is apllied on one side of the plate on other side
is spring. As vacuum start to fall that plate start to vibrate and that is the
sound you hear.

Best regards,
brajomobil
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to brajomobil for this post:
  • silver-slug
(09-01-2017, 07:56 AM)brajomobil Wrote:  That EGR is vacuum operated. When you turn off engine
100% percent air tight vacuum start to fail. In EGR there is small plate with spring
sound you hear.

Best regards,
brajomobil

hi there.
know they use vacuum to works but the sound does not come from the egr valve, which on my engine is behind the engine, the noise comes from the egr actuator solenoid and lasts over a minute (i have timed it). many others report this noise on many forums.
i agree it could be vibration of the diaphragm but it must be the one in the actuator.
how i see it is there may not be any more vaccuum generated as engine is off, but vaccuum still exists in the tube.
my egr does not appear to be sticking as i tested it and it opens and closes on application and removal of vacuum.
i've looked on many forums and some mechanics say the noise is normal, whilst others say it is a fault!
p.s. land rover forums, bmw forums, all sorts of forums have people reporting the noise from their egr solenoid.
(09-01-2017, 08:56 AM)silver-slug Wrote:  
(09-01-2017, 07:56 AM)brajomobil Wrote:  That EGR is vacuum operated. When you turn off engine
sound you hear.

Best regards,
brajomobil

hi there.
know they use vacuum to works but the sound does not come from the egr valve, which on my engine is behind the engine, the noise comes from the egr actuator solenoid and lasts over a minute (i have timed it). many others report this noise on many forums.
i agree it could be vibration of the diaphragm but it must be the one in the actuator.
how i see it is there may not be any more vaccuum generated as engine is off, but vaccuum still exists in the tube.
my egr does not appear to be sticking as i tested it and it opens and closes on application and removal of vacuum.
i've looked on many forums and some mechanics say the noise is normal, whilst others say it is a fault!

Vacuum can't exist long in the tube. In your case it exists for one minute. After that there is no vacuum
and no sound. You can test vacuum operated EGR really easy. Buy 50cc syringe. Connect syringe on tube
that goes to EGR. Pull syringe and it will operate EGR. When syringe is pulled max and you hold it by hand
EGR must stay open for over 3 minutes. That means that EGR is air tight and it works as expected. If you pull
syringe max and after 1-3 sec EGR closes that means that EGR is faulty. It's diaphragm can't hold vacuum.
In the same manner you can test actuator solenoid. If the above tests are OK then you can ignore the sound.

Best regards,
brajomobil
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to brajomobil for this post:
  • silver-slug
hi there.. as a point of interest - some time ago i blanked off the egr and blocked the rubber pipe.
the noise occured as usual. i unblocked pipe and noise never occured after engine off.
egr back on now, by the way, and tested before removal of blanking by using the vaccum tube.
worked as you described.

p.s. noise actually more like 3 mins!
brajmobil... meant to add this..

if i didsconnect the vacuum pipe from egr, noise stops (obviously as vacuum lost).

BUT... if i connect again noise starts again for 30 secs or so!

if i put finger on end of rubber pipe i can feel suction.

as engine off and vacuum not being created... where is it coming from?

curious?
(10-01-2017, 09:04 AM)silver-slug Wrote:  brajmobil... meant to add this..

if i didsconnect the vacuum pipe from egr, noise stops (obviously as vacuum lost).

BUT... if i connect again noise starts again for 30 secs or so!

if i put finger on end of rubber pipe i can feel suction.

as engine off and vacuum not being created... where is it coming from?

curious?

The brake servo.

Next time you turn engine off press the brake pedal 5 or 6 times until there is no vacuum left in the servo and see if the noise stops.

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to jj9 for this post:
  • brajomobil, silver-slug
i was thinking about brake servo but would the egr solenoid not cut off or release the vacuum?

winding back to when i had the egr blanked, i found the car ran better with the vacuum tube that went to egr was left unblocked. if it was sealed, engine sometimes after car coming to a stop and then accelerating away would hesitate and sometimes mil light would come on and limp mode enabled.
this just happened on a test drive, on arrival home, i left engine running for a minute or so and then when i revved it, it hesitated like fuel startvation, i immediatley disconnected vaccum pipe and it revved fine again.

as this happened same when egr blanked, i can safely assume egr ok and maybe the solenoid is at fault?
p.s. vacuum was pretty high in pipe when i disconected it.