Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Poor steering / wandering / self-centre
Hi All. Once again, it seems the 'lovely new van' is doing it's best to itch my sh!t.

My steering is very 'rubbery' and requires constant correction when driving along - it is simply annoying to drive!

Tracking has been done twice in the last 2 months by a trusted source with a brand new Hunter alignment machine. It is always the drivers side front wheel that needs adjusting - which interestingly is the wheel the seems to lack any 'feel' through the steering wheel.

I don't bounce it up kerbs, I never scrap a wheel when parking (I wouldn't do it to my Alfa so i won't do it to my van) and yet the alignment seems to be altering?!

I have just had 2 new front tyres fitted (OEM Michelin as fitted when I got it). The pressures are bang on. It feels to my like the bushes have gone soft (lower arm?) but at 18,000 miles I refuse to believe this can be the case - if it turns out to be, things are not looking good for the future!!

The other thing I do occasionally notice is when parking and going lock to lock, i OCCASIONALLY get a click from what sounds to be the top mount area? I am wondering if i have a spring seating issue / worn top mount?

Either way the steering feels rubbish, you have to fight the wheel at times to get it to turn (compared to how it should be / was when new) and the van doesn't feel 'straight'.

At the first service I mentioned to the Citroen mechanic that steering felt heavy, especially on the motorway at speed. The mechanic's reply was 'you don't have power steering on the motorway' and the feathering on my front tyres was caused by the 'power steering' ?! At this point I lost a lot of faith - main dealers, not my favourite of garages!!

So, does anyone else have any experience of a vague front end on their Berlingo? Yes I know its 'just a van', but its a bloody expensive new vehicle which replaced my old, worn 2003 Pug Partner van.........the only difference being the Pug was into 100,000 before it felt as sloppy as this 18,000 Citroen!

I need to get it back to Citroen I feel, I just dread them trying to fob me off again. Personally, I feel it needs a front suspension strip to investigate the struts / bushes from top to bottom?

Cheers all.

Rob.

Messages In This Thread
Poor steering / wandering / self-centre - by robertoc - 10-10-2013, 05:57 PM