Berlingo Forum

Full Version: 99 Berlingo Wont Start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got a loan of a Berlingo and drove it 120km down the motorway to Dublin.. Thing was fine but the next day I was driving around the town when I pulled over there was a small bit of smoke coming from the back of the engine (smelt like the clutch or electrical)
Since then it wont start, I have to push it to get it going
Anyone know what could be the issue? Cant imagine the starter blowing while driving and there is no STOP on the dash when I try to start, the lights come on the dash but no kick Sad
1st thing to do is check ALL earth connections.If OK,check for voltage at starter solenoid.It may be the ign sw or starter motor.:thumbsup: PS year & model always helps.
Thanks, all I know is its 99 Berlingo HDI
Where can I test the starter solenoid?
It may be the solenoid jammed and burnt the starter out ?
Is there any DIY for testing the starter? I cant even find a diagram to show where it is
Lets hope that the starter did not remain engaged to the flywheel once it had started the last time.
You won't get an engine "Stop" light for a cooked starter motor. I had this happen in a Saab 900i
years back and had to replace the starter and the flywheel!
Also check the battery is fully charged too.
The battery seems fine, when I turn on the ignition all the lights come on and the radio, I can push start the car
Does anyone know if the 1.4 and 1.9 starters are the same part?
Even a flat battery will power lights and radio as they consume little power.

Check with a multimeter is best if in doubt charge it anyway.
With the engine running(may need to 'gun it' first) you should have 14.4V.
14.2 is borderline, and anything lower than that is a problem...