Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Front Strut removal/refitting 1.9d
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi I am trying to replace the front struts on my 2000 1.9d Multispace. According to the Haynes book this can be done without removal of the swivel hub. After much fighting I did get the old one off, but had a real problem compressing the spring enough. Now, on trying to re fit the new leg, the trick used to remove the old one won't work in reverse! Is there an advised type of spring compressor, as mine end up with too much thread coming out at the top and it fouls the turret before enough compression is achieved to enable the leg to drop into the swivel housing? I've considered removing the swivel, but that is not easy with the leg off as I can't undo the hub nut with the hub flopping around! Any hep/advice gratefully received, as when this side's done, I've still got the other one to do! Thanks in advance. Tim.
First thing is to make sure both front wheels are off the ground as the anti roll bar will Make it harder to remove / replace strut. Then you need a long prybar to lever the "A" arm down enough to line the hub up Voila!!!
I suspect you only had one side jacked up.
Thanks Col, but the car is sitting on a 2 post lift. Borrowing some other spring compressors today so will see what happens!