Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Towbar recoding?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 2015 Berlingo M/S XTR EGS and just about to get a detachable towbar fitted with 7pin (trailer) vehicle specific electrics.

However, I an getting different info regarding recoding from different installers who have quoted. Some say recoding will have to be done by a dealer, some say they can do the recoding and one says recoding isn't required for my model!

Does anyone actually know the true answer please?

I'd be very grateful.

Help!!!
As far as I am aware the towbar will work fine when connected up to the standard loom - the connector block is in the loom by the rear right light - least was on my 2012 Partner - though some threads say its on the left side. The only issue is if you have the parking assist fitted as obviously that won't work when you have a trailer attached - to disable that when the trailer in on the car you'll probably need to get someone to enable the trailer module ( tick the box) in the software. Is a 15 minute job with PSA software thing - someone like lighty in Ilkeston will sort you out , or several other members on here if you're not in the midlands.
Andrew Taylor pid='87288' dateline='1462441067']I have a 2015 Berlingo M/S XTR EGS and just about to get a detachable towbar fitted with 7pin (trailer) vehicle specific electrics.

However, I an getting different info regarding recoding from different installers who have quoted. Some say recoding will have to be done by a dealer, some say they can do the recoding and one says recoding isn't required for my model!

Does anyone actually know the true answer please?

I'd be very grateful.

Help!!![/quote]

Hi Andrew

There are two choices for the wiring kit, the aftermarket ones that use a relay board to essentially "spoof" the ECU and the original manufacturer which is a plug in to the CAN bus wiring

The original manufacturer is the recommended approach as cutting into the wiring loom could potentially cause issues as the car gets older with the CAN bus signalling

Also the original wiring loom will require to be enabled (coded) as otherwise the indicators will not operate (ECU does not know about the presence of tow-bar). You will need lexia 3 to endable towbar (maybe another forum member near you has one if you dont)

Not a very big job at all to fit the tow-bar yourself (around a couple of hours) make sure you have a torque wrench to set the torque correctly

The wiring loom comes in two parts (sometimes the front to rear loom already there item one on the attached image) easy to check you need to remove the plastic panel on the passenger side

See below for the part numbers, and there are a good few threads on the installation of the towbar and wiring loom
7 pin - part number 1606489280  
7+7 pin - part number 1607814280
13 pin - part number 1607814080  

[attachment=2973]
HTH
You need a towing relay to reduce the loads on the wires to prevent bulb failure throwing its dummy out but... And I stress this there is no canbus near the rear lights! The relays are often referred to as canbus relays as the systems became more prominent when canbus architecture was used in cars, however as long as joints are soldered and not scotch locked there is no danger of affecting any systems in the car in the future

If you want the electrics doing by all means shoot me a pm and I'll be happy to oblige, as I say all joints will be soldered and properly done so as not to effect other systems in the vehicle!