Berlingo Forum

Full Version: engine light
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
well after 215k of trouble free miles my engine light come on today when I started it after a delivery,this was in Ipswich,190 miles from home,well it runs fine,no limp mode,got me home at my usual 58 mph 2250 revs :-), can't get it into garage till friday afternoon for him to stick it on his laptop,will post back when i have info, it's had all new filters at the last oil change 2k ago but it's never had the maf looked at, a miriad of options spring to mind,anything appear more likely to any of you...cheers,Ian.
Strange no limp mode with engine light on.? when mine came on I had no power at all
(08-09-2016, 07:06 PM)Johny555 Wrote: [ -> ]Strange no limp mode with engine light on.? when mine came on I had no power at all

Thats whats baffling,runs ace,if it had gone into limp mode I'd have called the breakdown,but she run as sweet as usual.
Engine management only uses limp mode if the issue is potentially damaging to an engine, for example a fuel pressure issue in a hdi, something like low speed fans not working correctly will put the light on, but clearly it won't affect the engine in a negative way so limp mode wouldn't be implemented, hope this explains and helps Smile
Mine came on because glow plug relay wire was lose,went into limp mode
Well,got it to the garage I use this morning to try get a fault code read and failed miserably,he has 2 different machines and for some weird reason neither of them will push into the socket,( lower right of steering column,behind the panel that pulls off ) it feels like it's going in,blue light on his plug lights up but it's only just making contact,let go and it falls on the floor,you cant hold it steady enough to make a good contact,I may add that the bloke does this all day so think I can rule him out,he was at it for 40 mins,just wont push fully home,I'm at a loss now,I struggle to see the socket with wearing varifocals so cant get my nut in a position to get up close,to me it seems ok but I've never had to look at one before,the vans not been plugged in while I've owned it,there's no mention of it in the service history I got with it,anybody come across anything like this before ??
On a plus,I disconnected the battery when I got home,went and had a cuppa,connected back up and no engine light,done 250 miles this afternoon and still no light,it's bound to come on but what's the best course of action in regards to this socket ?? 
Cheers,Ian :-(
I can relate to this on my 07 1.6 HDI the OBD2 port is a rubbish fit, I managed to force mine on still wasn't all the way home but I managed to read the codes. I have used my code reader on many cars with no problems at all.
Just as an update,done 2800 miles since disconnecting the battery to reset the engine light,It's not come back on yet.
Update No2 ... did 5500 miles in total till the engine light stayed on,disconnected the battery for 15 mins and it's off again,not found anywhere to check the data port problem out yet but it's not going into limp mode so reckon I'm safe to run her,all i can add is both times it appears it's happened on starting the van when it's up to operating temp,it hasn't come on while driving,don't know if that points anywhere ??? ....cheers,Ian
Glow plug relay?