Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Jump starting an M59 - Any "BSI" things to be aware of?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Continuing my learning curve in preparation for the very forthcoming M59 2.0Ltr HDi "Desire" ownership.

I think I have read somewhere that if one has a flat battery (for whatever reason) one has to follow certain procedures if "jump starting" from another battery / vehicle.

Is this correct, and if so what is the procedure?
Not that I'm aware of. The usual rules apply as with any other "normal" car. It never caused an issue in mine, either jump starting it, or jumping other cars from it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Donor battery - red lead to positive black lead to negative

Your vehicle - red lead to positive black lead to a good engine earth rather than to the -ve terminal

Sometimes a vehicle will have a dedicated -ve post upon which the jump lead is connected.

No issues if done this way ( connect the jump leads prior to switching on the ignition ).
(16-10-2016, 08:13 PM)geoff Wrote: [ -> ]Donor battery - red lead to positive, black lead to negative

Your vehicle - red lead to positive, black lead to a good engine earth rather than to the -ve terminal

I'm not the grammar police but I've added two very important commas to your post Geoff!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
It's the dunces hat for me today then, come to think of it is that even allowed these days after all it is important not to stunt a persons emotional development or he may end up as an axe murderer !
OK, so if I ("we") ever need to jump start a Berlingo, just follow the normal procedure then Smile

Well that's one less thing to concern myself about, what with all this clever electronic gubbins they have  Shy

EDIT = read below.
(16-10-2016, 11:13 AM)ghost123uk Wrote: [ -> ]Continuing my learning curve in preparation for the very forthcoming M59 2.0Ltr HDi "Desire" ownership.

I think I have read somewhere that if one has a flat battery (for whatever reason) one has to follow certain procedures if "jump starting" from another battery / vehicle.

Is this correct, and if so what is the procedure?

I have heard a lot of stories for donor ECU burnout when connected to flat battery and donor engine running.

It seems that they are related to this. Because battery is flat and you connect cables from donor to it there is
large current flowing to flat battery. Above 50A. Flat battery is taking a lot of current. Donor alternator starts to
produce even more current as it is starting to charge that flat battery. Then you try to start other engine. It that second
there is even more current acquired. Above 150A. Donor alternator starts to produce even more current. Then
engine form flat battery starts. His alternator scenes that battery is flat and starts to produce current, a lot
of current. In that second donor alternator scenes that there is no more large current required and it stops
to produce current. That sudden stop of producing large amount of current creates a voltage spike that is sent
on donor wires to closest computers. ECU is always close to engine battery and alternator. Voltage spike
burns ECU because it is closest to alternator. Car with flat battery will not have problems with voltage spike
only donor car.

So this procedure is the best: Donor engine OFF !!! Connect jumper wires. Then wait 5-10 minutes!
In that time flat battery will settle down taking charge form donor battery. Then you start flat battery
engine. When engine starts as soon as possible remove jumper wires.

Even better procedure is this: Donor engine ON. Connect jumper wires. Then wait 5-10 minutes.
Donor engine OFF ! . Then start flat battery engine. When engine starts as soon as possible remove jumper wires.

It would be best to have full external battery not in car and connect that battery with jump wires. As soon as
engine starts remove jump wires.

Best regards,
brajomobil
Ah, now that is what I thought I had read (elsewhere and not specific to Berlingos).

OK, so it's not BSI related, and the donor car is the one that might suffer.

I will bear that in mind in future and follow that ^^^ procedure.

Many thanks brajomobil Smile