Berlingo Forum

Full Version: squealing/grinding reverse only?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I fitted a new clutch kit and after around 30 miles with no problems I have now noticed a squealing/grinding noise in reverse only.
It sounds like metal on metal I have been told its my release bearing but since it is new and seemed to have no defects when I checked before fitting I don't think it is.  It happens when moving off in reverse only when slowly engaging the clutch.

Thanks in advance for any advice Big Grin
Sounds very much like thrust bearing, did you change the plastic guide tube when fitting the new clutch.
If it was the thrust bearing surely it would be making the noise when engaging all gears and not only reverse?

Is the reverse gear engaging fully, check the gear linkage.

(30-10-2016, 11:56 PM)jj9 Wrote: [ -> ]If it was the thrust bearing surely it would be making the noise when engaging all gears and not only reverse?

Is the reverse gear engaging fully, check the gear linkage.

It's just a whining reverse gear, most cars do it. As above the thrust bearing is doing exactly the same in reverse as forward so no reason to blame that. Do yo spend a lot of time going backwards ? Put some oil in the box for peace of mind and live with it.
Did you lube the input shaft bearing/bush in end of crank? Just wondering if you spend longer on the bite point in rev?
I would be looking to see if you have left something (mounting) off or loose when refitting gearbox. The engines torque reaction moves in the opposite direction when in reverse so a driveshaft or pulley could be touching something.