Berlingo Forum

Full Version: DW8 engine tapping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I recently bought a cheap 2000 Berlingo 1.9D, it runs well but the engine taps away like a sewing machine. I don't believe it's the tappets, I've owned VW diesels with noisy tappets before and it doesn't sound the same.
I've researched the issue on Google and it sounds like it might be the advance solenoid, but I believe these threads refer to vehicles with Lucas injection pumps not Bosch like mine.
It does shudder and rev low after a cold start suggesting it's the advance solenoid if that's some sort of cold start device??
[Image: rlXZEJ3.jpg]
A picture to brighten up a dull thread, it's really straight for a well used 14 year old van.
there is a thermostatic sensor mounted under the fuel filter area which controls the pump via a cable . If it sense the engine coolant is cold it puts the pump into cold start mode. When it heats up it gradually moves it to hot position . these have been known to fail and are expensive to replace.

there was a lot of posts on here about it .found this one

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/thread-31...ic+control
(09-12-2016, 08:30 AM)brodfather11 Wrote: [ -> ]there is a thermostatic sensor mounted under the fuel filter area which controls the pump via a cable . If it sense the engine coolant is cold it puts the pump into cold start mode. When it heats up it gradually moves it to hot position . these have been known to fail and are expensive to replace.

there was a lot of posts on here about it .found this one

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/thread-31...ic+control

Is there any way to bodge it? I'll be digging through the scrappy for DW8s to pilfer a thermostatic sensor!
I disconnected the bowden cable from the thermostatic sensor to the pump on both of my cars that had one because they were slow to come off, never had any starting problems or knocking noises.

slow to start and chapping its tits off are classic symptoms of the valve clearances going to pot on this engine.

see the thread in m59 forum.

Planning to do my clearances wednesday.

fwiw i had a siezed wax stat much earlier on in this cars life - all that happened was a little diesel hammer on start up , it always started perfectly.

now its 3-4 turns a shudder and its almost misfiring till it warms up.

i found all my inlets were closed right up at the cam - which means they are being held open all the time till the engine warms up.
Yeah I reckon the tappets need re-shimmed. It starts first time every time with no churning, even on a strong veg mix - the idle is very low though and it chugs when the engine's cold even on diesel. Possibly another issue there.
It's an early DW8 with a Bosch pump and doesn't have the same cold start setup as most DW8s with Lucas/Delphi pumps.