Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Which Gearbox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just bought my first berlingo, a budget machine that requires a gearbox, I have a friend with the same engine berlingo (2.0 HDI) that he is scrapping due to a long mot failure sheet so he is happy for me to have that gearbox. I am now thinking that to save me a morning and a bit of spanner wielding that I may leave his gearbox in situ, and buy a box so that I can just remove mine, fit a new clutch and throw the box in. eBay has loads of them listed, am I correct in thinking that you have to have a 2.0HDI specific box, or are the 1.9d and 1.6HDI boxes the same as well?
If you have access to a Haynes book have a look at the gear ratios for both engines, I would think that they are different and you would be best changing type for type rather than taking a chance
The 1.9 has a shorter transfer ratios than 2.0, and its gearbox is not compatible with 2.0.

1.9: RPM at 100 km/h, fifth gear = 2800.
2.0: RPM at 100 km/h, fifth gear = 2300.

1.6? It may be the same as 2.0, I'm not sure...
I'd bite the bullet and remove the friends gearbox in advance of fitting yours, better than buying second hand as you'll know its condition.
You describe the Berlingo as a budget machine so keep your money for buying a clutch assembly etc.
Consider a refurbished clutch if money tight - they are good.
You'll have the choice of 2 second hand clutches, so you may get lucky and be able to mix & match the parts and get away without buying a new one, but probably worth fitting a new release bearing. Also, taking the box out of your mates van will give you a bit of experience for when you take yours out. You'll have saved enough money to by another Berlingo at this rate!
Yes always fit a new thrust bearing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never skimp on these .....