Berlingo Forum

Full Version: RH driveshaft and ball joint woes...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Firstly, I've been an idiot.
Started with good intentions, previous posts related to axle swop. Thought I'd give it a pre mot check over and noticed ball joint not right. Fortunately, or unfortunately as it turns out, I had a ball joint kicking around and set to changing it.
Stupidily, I didn't follow the instructions to the letter. Long story short, set off for test drive and it moved about a foot before drive shaft and ball joint popped out.
Tomorrow morning MOT now cancelled.
In a right old pickle now, running out of time, money and inclination.
Gaiter is split in middle, a pretty hefty spring has sprung and bent, revealing CV joint. 
Thanks for listening, phone now about to die ?
Update...
This is far from solved. At closer inspection in daylight, it has broken at the inner CV joint. Support bearing appears very dry and rough, there has clearly been oil seal leak and the inner half of drive shaft won't come out ?
Please, please, please, don't let it be a gearbox problem ?
Oh dear! best of luck with that job.
Only one way to find out if the box is ok and that is to fit a new driveshaft - motor factors exchange unit if funds allow or scrap yard one if not

Remains of old shaft should prise out ok, maybe need two prybars spaced apart.

New shaft comes with new bearing.
I have a good second hand drive shaft waiting.
The intermediate support bearing appears to be the problem, seized in housing.
How much brute force is acceptable or is removing the housing the way forward? ?
I would remove the housing, then you have much better access to work on freeing the bearing from it.

(20-04-2018, 08:48 AM)ian432 Wrote: [ -> ]The intermediate support bearing appears to be the problem, seized in housing.
How much brute force is acceptable or is removing the housing the way forward? ?

Don't you slacken the two bolts first and then turn through 90 degrees ???
Oh, if only it was that simple.
Removed them completely to be on the safe side.
After a whole day whacking it with an assortment of drifts, chisels and hammers, turning the shaft, spraying it with magic stuff, heating the housing and swearing at it, probably moved 2 mm.
?