Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Knocking noise over bumps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As title any rough ground I get the most annoying clonking/knocking noise which I can feel on the a pillar and seat frame so appears to be something hitting the floor?
I've replaced drop links coil springs and top mounts checked everything and made sure all bolts tight but can't locate the source!!! Angry Angry Angry
Anybody got any ideas?
Loose steering rack mounting bolts or subframe bolts? Could be the heat shield on the rack but I would think that would clink rather than knock.
Sliding doors jumping around in their tracks? Rear seat fixings moving in holes in floor?
Changed a lot of front dampers on these & they are hard to diagnose.
They dont really cause the noise you describe though.
(13-07-2018, 11:52 PM)Jelevents Wrote: [ -> ]As title any rough ground I get the most annoying clonking/knocking noise which I can feel on the a pillar and seat frame so appears to be something hitting the floor?
I've replaced drop links coil springs and top mounts checked everything and made sure all bolts tight but can't locate the source!!! Angry Angry Angry  
Anybody got any ideas?
My VTR suspension has clonked from the left front for 3 years. Mot's have not found a fault and have asked my local 
 dealer to investigate, but they have been unable to locate the knock.it only happens at low speed. Have changed both drop links, which helped for a few miles. Otherwise there is no uneven tyre wear and the car drives/steers as it should. I'm in Spain for the next few months and have been unable to replicate the clonk no matter how fast/ slow  i drive over rough roads. What more can I do? Stay in Spain???
Hello - see my recent post here - M59 Berlingo rather than your model though. Drove it this morning and clunked over some speed humps. Jacked it up and grabbing the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, give it a good hard shake and I could feel some movement. Closer scrutiny showed that it was the lower ball joint. I've had that off the car several times this year (new springs, new hub, new top mountings) but never thought to check it - maybe worth trying on yours?
(16-07-2018, 07:08 PM)GraemeT Wrote: [ -> ]Hello - see my recent post here - M59 Berlingo rather than your model though. Drove it this morning and clunked over some speed humps. Jacked it up and grabbing the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, give it a good hard shake and I could feel some movement. Closer scrutiny showed that it was the lower ball joint. I've had that off the car several times this year (new springs, new hub, new top mountings) but never thought to check it - maybe worth trying on yours?
Thanks Graeme, I will give it a try this weekend!
I had a knock/clonk type noise over bumps on my 2008 B9 Berlingo Multispace [which only had about 60,000 on the clock at the time] I tried all the normal things drop-links, track rod ends and even the inner track rods [which were worn] were all replaced, as were the top mounts [they were also badly corroded and did need changing] but still I had the annoying knock over bumps. I finally decided to change virtually the only part I hadn't changed, which was the front shocks, which weren't leaking and didn't look worn etc but when I got them out and the springs removed [spring compressor required] I found that you could wobble the piston-rod around quite a bit from side to side. After I replaced both shocks, no more noise and then just when I though all my suspension woes were over, about a week later one of my rear springs decided to snap....so I had replace both of them as well, don't you just love Citroens  Wink
I posted on a different thread that I found there were no rubber bump-stops under the bonnet of my B9 XTR, £6.50 later I've got a much quieter car, it eliminated a lot of low speed rattles and bangs.