Berlingo Forum

Full Version: 1.9 diesel not starting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there first post and first time owning a berlingo

Basically my neighbour has has this van sitting for a while as he couldnt get it to start and he has given it to me as he does not have the time or space for it

The van does not seem to be getting fuel, i saw someone mention something about a solenoid and someone else mention an imobileiser

This has probably been covered loads of times already i just cant seem to find the answer

Thanks ross
I would try some easzy start and see if it tries to start.
Go easy on the easy start, too much can damage the piston rings as it makes a bigger bang than diesel. It should tell you if the engine will start though.
If you search for 1.9d immobiliser or 1.9d solenoid or similar you'll find loads of examples. There are other posts about 1.9d valve clearances preventing starting. As you've mentioned it looks like no fuel, did you take a pipe from the top of an injector to see if fuel comes out when you crank? Careful of the high pressure, putting the a clear bag over the pipe end will be safest.
No one has mentioned they easy start can damage the glow plugs if you are not careful - do not preheat before using the easy start ive seen it blow the ends off the glow plugs.

I worked for many years as a hgv mechanic and ive never seen easy start damage anything but glow plugs - but if used day after day for many years it can damage piston rings but ive never seen it. In Fact some of the old ERF's used an easystart canister for starting - it was preinstalled in the inlet and the driver just pulled a lever in the cab.
Must admit that my warning is based on old school diesel wisdom, 1950's & earlier Lister / Petter etc, maybe the rings were more brittle in those days. Either way, using too much easy start is only masking the problem, but a little may well get you on the road to understanding what's actually wrong.
Is the car recognising the immobiliser? Turn ignition on and open the door, does it make a warning sound?
Thanks for the replys il read into the above suggestions and have a better look tomorrow, will post up progress if any
So the van is not getting fuel, there is no immobiliser problems that i can see anyway
if your not getting fuel to the injector pump then remember that the fuel is sucked from the fuel tank by the injector pump any leaks (if there is fuel in the tank) will draw air and not fuel. The fuel filter top is a source of leaks.
Easy start works but too much can wash/dilute the oil off the cylinder walls , not a good idea on a cold morning to have no lubricant on your piston.
(21-11-2018, 07:50 AM)brodfather11 Wrote: [ -> ]if your not getting fuel to the injector pump then remember that the fuel is sucked from the fuel tank by the injector pump any leaks (if there is fuel in the tank) will draw air and not fuel. The fuel filter top is a source of leaks.  
Easy start works but too much can wash/dilute the oil off the cylinder walls , not a good idea on a cold morning to have no lubricant on your piston.

Ok so basically check the fuel filter top for air leaks

The van does start with easy start but cuts off so im sure its a fuel issue, someone mentioned something about some sort of solenoid aswell, any info on that?
Pages: 1 2