Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Undoing oil sump bolts.?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi guys 

now removing sump bolts is usually a simple task, 

but these are so tight the Allen sockets are turning in the bolts,
surely these bolts are no usually so tight...

any suggestions ?
Are the bolts now rounded ?
Gentle persuasion using an impact driver with an Allen bit perhaps. Maybe some heat on the bolt heads.
(07-12-2018, 03:37 PM)geoff Wrote: [ -> ]Are the bolts now rounded ?

no.. but I can feel the bit moving without the bit turning..
so its getting close .. Dodgy
(07-12-2018, 04:52 PM)cancunia Wrote: [ -> ]Gentle persuasion using an impact driver with an Allen bit perhaps. Maybe some heat on the bolt heads.

I don't have an impact driver.. Confused
I have a blow lamp... Shy

theres a bloody lot of bolts... Angry
i always hammer a torx (stardrive) bit in
Get the allen bit in the bolt and give it a bang with a hammer to shock it - if not heat and a bang with the hammer.
(07-12-2018, 06:23 PM)frank Wrote: [ -> ]i always hammer a torx (stardrive) bit in

Yup... I can see it coming to this... Big Grin
(07-12-2018, 08:31 PM)polar Wrote: [ -> ]Get the allen bit in the bolt and give it a bang with a hammer to shock it - if not heat and a bang with the hammer.

I had a little go like that , no joy.. Rolleyes
I recently had to replace a corroded sump. Ireplaced it with an alloy sump and had to buy new longer bolts. They cost more than the sump. M7 an odd French automotive size. I undid the old ones by giving the Allen key bit a sharp tap to make sure it was started properly and to shock them.

I now have a spare set of used sump bolts for a steel sump.

Peter
Pages: 1 2