Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Berlingo V6 conversion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys
I'm a big car fan. Just finished a bachelor automotive technologies and now I'm doing an engineers degree.
I've always wanted to do an engine swap and I'm really into sleepers. So now I think i've found my ideal combination.
I'd like to swap an ES9 J4 from a late XM into a berlingo. Been doing some investigation and found that it's been done a few times, but not that much info to find. What's the best basis to do the conversion? An early M49, late M49 with the bsi(?) interface, or an M59? I'll be looking for a petrol car as that will be the easiest to get registered here in Belgium. I'm not quite sure what the (dis)advantages are of each model... The reason for choosing this combination is the easy acces to ES9 engines, I've got 3 at my disposal so parts will be easy to replace if necessary. I’m also thinking of swapping the complete wire harness off the XM, to save hassle.
Also what are the differences between the partner and the berlingo? Or is it just the badge?

Thanks for the help guys. Big Grin
(16-04-2019, 09:06 AM)MathieuW Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys
I'm a big car fan. Just finished a bachelor automotive technologies and now I'm doing an engineers degree.
I've always wanted to do an engine swap and I'm really into sleepers. So now I think i've found my ideal combination.
I'd like to swap an ES9 J4 from a late XM into a berlingo. Been doing some investigation and found that it's been done a few times, but not that much info to find. What's the best basis to do the conversion? An early M49, late M49 with the bsi(?) interface, or an M59? I'll be looking for a petrol car as that will be the easiest to get registered here in Belgium. I'm not quite sure what the (dis)advantages are of each model... The reason for choosing this combination is the easy acces to ES9 engines, I've got 3 at my disposal so parts will be easy to replace if necessary. I’m also thinking of swapping the complete wire harness off the XM, to save hassle.
Also what are the differences between the partner and the berlingo? Or is it just the badge?

The only help I can give you is the Peugeot & Citroen are only different in their trim.Good luck with your project & please keep us posted on progress.
(16-04-2019, 09:06 AM)MathieuW Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys

Is that the late 24v with motorised throttle body or a throttle cable as that then decides the van you pick (I have done the very conversion with the later can bussed partner with bug eye headlights and a later 210bhp V6)

You’d be over complicating it by swapping the entire wiring loom and from that it becomes apparent you know very little about the French wiring you are endeavouring to play with...
No it’s the earliest with 190bhp. So cable throttle. So now i’m Looking for an early M49 so it doesn’t have the bsi and the wiring will be the easiest... it’ll also probably be tüv approved in Germany so it’s actually legal to drive, also doesn’t limit to Petrol vehicles too.
Mechanically, there's very little difference between an M49 and M59 as they're both based on the same eunning gear. The bigest difference, besides the ECU and the headlights, is that the M59 have improved crumple zones in the front, so is slightly safer in an accident.

But many M49 were sold without ABS or even airbags. Please take that under consideration.

The big advantage to the M49/M59 compared to the B9 model is the rear axle design which will act as 'passive rear wheel steering' when cornering at speed.
(Makes the Berlingo a fun car to drive )

You are aware that the old 1.4i gasoline engine can be pushed to 130BHp with the right parts?
(and that's a much more lighter engine than the 2.0HDi you're considering)

How familiar are you with French engines, compared to engines produced in other countries?
One example is that in most countries they number the cylinders, starting with '1' at the front of the car(where the timing belt is), but on French engines the numbering starts at the flywheel.
This can be important in case you get an error on an OBD II reader, install a custom ECU, or buy parts made for the same engine built under license by other company.
(04-05-2019, 11:15 PM)Gadgetman Wrote: [ -> ]Mechanically, there's very little difference between an M49 and M59 as they're both based on the same eunning gear.  The bigest difference, besides the ECU and the headlights, is that the M59 have improved crumple zones in the front, so is slightly safer in an accident.  

But many M49 were sold without ABS or even airbags. Please take that under consideration.

The big advantage to the M49/M59 compared to the B9 model is the rear axle design which will act as 'passive rear wheel steering' when cornering at speed.

You are aware that the old 1.4i gasoline engine can be pushed to 130BHp with the right parts?

How familiar are you with French engines, compared to engines produced in other countries?
One example is that in most countries they number the cylinders, starting with '1' at the front of the car(where the timing belt is), but on French engines the numbering starts at the flywheel.
This can be important in case you get an error on an OBD II reader, install a custom ECU, or buy parts made for the same engine built under license by other company.
Not to be rude but I think you didn’t read the first post. I’ve got the V6 (not 2.0HDi) at my disposal, and most of the conversion is just for the fun of it. And it doesn’t have obd so no problems regarding that...
(06-05-2019, 09:57 AM)MathieuW Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-05-2019, 11:15 PM)Gadgetman Wrote: [ -> ]Mechanically, there's very little difference between an M49 and M59 as they're both based on the same eunning gear.  The bigest difference, besides the ECU and the headlights, is that the M59 have improved crumple zones in the front, so is slightly safer in an accident.  

Not to be rude but I think you didn’t read the first post. I’ve got the V6 (not 2.0HDi) at my disposal, and most of the conversion is just for the fun of it. And it doesn’t have obd so no problems regarding that...

I think he replied to the wrong post or hes asleep
Dumdum, do you have some more info than I can find in your thread? Like some more pictures, including the subframe? And do you have an idea how much the drive shafts needed to be shortened?
I'm in the process of rebuilding the ES9, but also looking at the electronics involved in the conversion. I've got the wiring diagrams for the engine, but I can't find the wiring diagrams of the Berlingo. Can anyone (probably with acces to servicebox?) get me the wiring diagram from the engine and starting/charging for an M49 Berlingo with VIN VF7MFLFXF65460426?