Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Exchange of instrument cluster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I’m converting my LHD M59 to use in U.K. I have everything covered ( DVLA, Inland revenue, headlights etc. ) but speedo conversion has two options ( as I see it ). First, buy a commercially available kit to convert existing speedo to MPH which, at the moment, only shows KPH. Second, replacement of the whole pod/instruments. Both options, using second hand instrument cluster, are roughly the same price (ish). Now, if I straight swap the European cluster for a U.K. one will the Speedo REGISTER in MPH? As the signal is electronic does this have any bearing on what the instrument will show?
My point being, when all set up and driving along , will the system still be producing KPH reading on the replacement instrument (speedo ). EG driving at 30 MPH instrument reading 50 MPH ( 30 MPH = 50 KPH).
I hope I have made my point clear, I’m not sure it’s that easy to explain sober! I’m trying to avoid buying a unit that won’t work as required. I appreciate that the speedo is not an MOT test item but, in order to get conformity, I need to show the speedo is able to read MPH.

And advice, experience appreciated.

El Berlingo
Take a look at Saskak's cruise control thread re speedos & kmh / mph. AFAIK, the cluster converts the signals to the correct units of measure. So I think a UK MPH speedo will do the job properly. Just be aware that the mileage on the speedo will be the higher of what's stored in the speedo or the BSI. If you have a 1.6HDi and want cruise control, see my for sale ad.
Hi Cancunia,

Thanks for info. I’m not sure what you mean by storage of mileage. I assume you mean that the new speedo will show the stored distance in Km not Miles ( thus higher ). Have I understood correctly?
Thanks,

El Berlingo
AFAIK, both the BSI & the Speedo store the last known mileage.
This means that if you put a replacement high mileage BSI into a car with a lower mileage, the speedo gets updated with the higher value (for sure), the reverse is also true (AFAIK). Both the speedo & BSI mileage can be changed, Saskak's thread discusses how to change the speedo, both to display miles on the odo and to adjust the mileage.
Cancunia is absolutely right.

Easiest option is to buy an MPH cluster and swap your current one. If you can find one that has lower mileage on the clock as compared to yours, then it is a straight swap. As cancunia said, signal is electronic and mph will be correct +/- some miles, they are never absolutely correct. The problem is how to make sure what the seller says is correct. The only way is to open the cluster and read the chip with the stored mileage. If higher than your BSI then you can correct it to whatever value you want that is lower than your BSI/instrument cluster. Once put on the car the BSI/instrument cluster will both revert to the highest of the two, so to prevent clocking. This thread (https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-16110-page-8.html) gives how I modified mine with a cheap reader.

Good luck.
Hi Guys,

All understood and many thanks. Will now track a suitable replacement.

Cheers,

El Berlingo
Forgot to mention if you would be correcting the mileage, take care with the conversion from km->miles and vice versa.
(12-10-2019, 09:24 AM)El Berlingo Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Guys,

Cheers,

El Berlingo

Exactly the right time for Cruise Control!
(12-10-2019, 12:32 PM)cancunia Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-10-2019, 09:24 AM)El Berlingo Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Guys,

Cheers,

El Berlingo

Exactly the right time for Cruise Control!

Cancunia, my sentiments exactly!