Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Cooker box drawer runners tips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi to all my 1st post!
I’m planning an amdro type box for occasional use as day van days out and maybe overnight camp. 
I think I should be ok with woodwork but one thing concerns me and it’s getting the slide out unit right, any tips on positioning the runners and whether to assemble 1st or fit runners after. 
Any tips would be greatly appreciated, cheers!
Not a reply to your question but just something we quickly learned (thankfully before starting to build anything)... if you have the Berlingo with the overhead storage lockers in the back (modutop) there's really not enough room to sit in your boot area when you're using it as a day van. We figured out we could sit facing backwards on top of the folded rear seats though as an alternative.

Anyhow, not sure if you are on Facebook but various people have posted their self-made boot jump style conversions in the Berlingo and Partner group including plans with measurements etcs. Those might be useful to you.
(21-01-2020, 02:39 PM)ally el dee Wrote: [ -> ]Not a reply to your question but just something we quickly learned (thankfully before starting to build anything)... if you have the Berlingo with the overhead storage lockers in the back (modutop) there's really not enough room to sit in your boot area when you're using it as a day van. We figured out we could sit facing backwards on top of the folded rear seats though as an alternative.

Anyhow, not sure if you are on Facebook but various people have posted their self-made boot jump style conversions in the Berlingo and Partner group including plans with measurements etcs. Those might be useful to you.
Cheers for that, no modutop on ours and I want to keep the benches as low as I can get away with to give us the headroom.
Having just built an IKEA wardrobe with 8 sliding doors. I would suggest putting the runners on firsts !
(21-01-2020, 01:01 PM)BaggieRob Wrote: [ -> ]Hi to all my 1st post!
I’m planning an amdro type box for occasional use as day van days out and maybe overnight camp. 
I think I should be ok with woodwork but one thing concerns me and it’s getting the slide out unit right, any tips on positioning the runners and whether to assemble 1st or fit runners after. 
Any tips would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

I bought some heavy duty ball bearing runners for about £5*. Fixed them to the sides, level. Then I screwed two long thin pieces of ply (50cm x 2cm) to the runners, and this formed a foundation for the cooker unit which simply screwed on top, into the thin pieces. I (possibly like you!) had measurement anxieties and wasn't sure how much tolerance the hinges would take. This got round it.

Of course, you lose a bit of height, but for other reasons I needed a bit of space under the drawer.

* I think they were these - https://www.screwfix.com/p/ball-bearing-...pack/51598 They've got a really handy 'closed' position, but you'll still need to find a way to stop the drawer sliding about if you're not on level ground (like, always). I just drilled hole in the bottom of the drawer and insert a peg, which locates on a notched bit of wood underneath.