Berlingo Forum

Full Version: No Power
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, 
First post.
I have a 2008 Berlingo Old shape new face 1.6HDI.
There is absolutley no power at all when driving.
I dont hear any whizz or whirr off the turbo, nothing to suggest its not working.
I had the pipe that comes from the side of the turbo and can feel the fins, they turn without resistance and dont feel loose or wobbley in there.

What can i do to restore power???

Frustrated 0-60 in 1/2 a day Berlingo Driver
(01-03-2020, 12:17 PM)ParamedicPaddy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, 
First post.
I dont hear any whizz or whirr off the turbo, nothing to suggest its not working.
I had the pipe that comes from the side of the turbo and can feel the fins, they turn without resistance and dont feel loose or wobbley in there.

Check if the turbo wastegate if operating correctly, i.e. holding vacuum and the diaphragm is intact. Remove the rubber hose that goes to the wastegate, compress the wastegate rod that goes to the turbo and put your finger on the wastegate. Release the rod, but still holding small metal pipe, the rod should stay relatively compressed, but 0.5-1mm movement is OK. If the rod goes back, then the wastegate diaphragm is gone.

Have somebody to look at the wastegate and start the engine, the wastegate lever should contract and stay there on idle.

If the wastegate is intact with the finger test, but when engine is started and the lever does not contract, then you have a split pipe somewhere and loosing vacuum somewhere.
It could be that the turbo vacuum solenoid is defective and always diverting the vacuum that should go to the wastegate, but start with the above tests. Check this video if you are uncertain what to plug and contract (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLsMzdKgI1o).

Good luck!
It might be the MAF.
Try Saskak's tests, and if no joy get yourself an OBD code reader and see if there are any trouble codes. Plenty of posts on here about readers.
(01-03-2020, 12:25 PM)saskak Wrote: [ -> ]
First post.

Check if the turbo wastegate if operating correctly, i.e. holding vacuum and the diaphragm is intact. Remove the rubber hose that goes to the wastegate, compress the wastegate rod that goes to the turbo and put your finger on the wastegate. Release the rod, but still holding small metal pipe, the rod should stay relatively compressed, but 0.5-1mm movement is OK. If the rod goes back, then the wastegate diaphragm is gone.

Have somebody to look at the wastegate and start the engine, the wastegate lever should contract and stay there on idle.

If the wastegate is intact with the finger test, but when engine is started and the lever does not contract, then you have a split pipe somewhere and loosing vacuum somewhere.
It could be that the turbo vacuum solenoid is defective and always diverting the vacuum that should go to the wastegate, but start with the above tests. Check this video if you are uncertain what to plug and contract (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLsMzdKgI1o).

Good luck!

Thanks so much, ill try that when i get a minute.....
Thanks so much, ill try that when i get a minute.....
Ok so i tried that, the arm stays in when trying to check vacuum by putting finger on bottom of pipe, BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,When the engine is started the arm does not travel at all, it dosent move.
Where next ?
(02-03-2020, 07:10 PM)ParamedicPaddy Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so i tried that, the arm stays in when trying to check vacuum by putting finger on bottom of pipe, BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,When the engine is started the arm does not travel at all, it dosent move.
Where next ?

So, the diaphragm is intact, but you are loosing vacuum somewhere. Check the wastegate vacuum pipe if it is split somewhere. I know it is difficult as access is tough. Most likely the turbo solenoid is stuck. It is worth taking apart and see if it can be cleaned. Here is a picture of where it is located (N 104 on the picture, back of the engine). It is fairly cheap to buy. I think 4 vacuum pipes are connected to it.

[attachment=5035]
First post.

There is one thing about the DV6 16v. The turbos are not ones for making noise . I've had the inlet hose of a M59 revved it to about 3k rpm an not so much as a woosh whir or induction noise. Could be an injector fault as they can go on the The DV6. Also check the service parts i.e Air filter and fuel filter as they can cause a reduced power situation if they are dirty or clogged. If the oil is dieselely smelling, feels quite watery and is the oil is vantablack rather than the usual pot black then that could be a cause, If it has been recently serviced then it could be you have filled up with some Sh*t diesel that's full with sh*t causing the fuel lines to clog, fuel filter to foul or got to one of the injectors and clogged or destroyed internally. On the other hand a bad battery, crank position sensor or camshaft position sensor ( unlikely for DV6 to have one) will cause poor performance.