Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Intermittent brakes staying on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,
I have a 2006 Peugeot Partner Combi, 2.0 HDI. Have had some strange occurrences with the brakes recently, and have searched the forum with some reporting similar but not located a clear solution.

My wife works for the NHS and relies on the vehicle - braking issues/risk of being stranded are very worrying. Especially since the AA will due to Covid only recover a vehicle not the occupant.

Initial problem was what appeared to be a seized nsf calliper. Duly replaced, and seemed fine.

Fortnight later it appeared both brakes were stuck on.

Once everything cooled down, system seemed normal.

As a 'no brainer' and affordable fix, replaced both front brake hoses. carefully flushed and and re-bled whole system.

Unable to replicate fault, so far.

But, as appeared after the calliper replacement, first time, all seems fine - but no way of telling if there is an underlying fault - and if so, is still present.

We live in a rural location - and I'm worried about her getting stuck in a vulnerable position as happened last time.

I've spoken to dealers but I am not convinced that they wont simply start swapping expensive components to "see what happens" (eg abs unit, m/cyl. / servo)....which, without being sure which it is is simply unaffordable.

Has anyone had this problem - and managed to solve it?

And/or performed any reliable tests to isolate/prove the faulty component?

I live near Worthing, Sussex - apart from the main dealers (unaffordable) would anyone know of an experienced expert within reach who could help please?

many thanks.
Welcome to the forum.

So far as you know, is it all 4 wheels that are getting locked or just the front pair or just one wheel?
had a vw passat that suffered now and again from brakes sticking on which needed a new master cylinder.

A towbar fitted to a transit caused the brakes to stick on , the brake light switch was too tight to the pedal and not letting the fluid return completely.
(29-07-2020, 01:16 PM)cancunia Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to the forum.

So far as you know, is it all 4 wheels that are getting locked or just the front pair or just one wheel?

HiĀ 

initial experience was just nsf (hence changing the calliper) . AA diagnosis the next occurence was both fronts. Dont believe it has affected the rears.

thanks.
I can't remember the braking pipes from the ABS to the front & back but am guessing that all 4 wheels are controlled individually via the ABS system. Have you tried an OBD fault code reader to see if there are any ABS faults?
(30-07-2020, 07:14 AM)cancunia Wrote: [ -> ]I can't remember the braking pipes from the ABS to the front & back but am guessing that all 4 wheels are controlled individually via the ABS system. Have you tried an OBD fault code reader to see if there are any ABS faults?

Thanks. I have tried a cheap "DIY" one...nothing, and am waiting to get access to a Snap-On reader which has previously shown codes the DIY has not with prior problems.
(29-07-2020, 11:58 AM)Robho Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All,
I have a 2006 Peugeot Partner Combi, 2.0 HDI. Have had some strange occurrences with the brakes recently, and have searched the forum with some reporting similar but not located a clear solution.

My wife works for the NHS and relies on the vehicle - braking issues/risk of being stranded are very worrying. Especially since the AA will due to Covid only recover a vehicle not the occupant.

Initial problem was what appeared to be a seized nsf calliper. Duly replaced, and seemed fine.

Fortnight later it appeared both brakes were stuck on.

Once everything cooled down, system seemed normal.

As a 'no brainer' and affordable fix, replaced both front brake hoses. carefully flushed and and re-bled whole system.

Unable to replicate fault, so far.

But, as appeared after the calliper replacement, first time, all seems fine - but no way of telling if there is an underlying fault - and if so, is still present.

We live in a rural location - and I'm worried about her getting stuck in a vulnerable position as happened last time.

I've spoken to dealers but I am not convinced that they wont simply start swapping expensive components to "see what happens" (eg abs unit, m/cyl. / servo)....which, without being sure which it is is simply unaffordable.

Has anyone had this problem - and managed to solve it?

And/or performed any reliable tests to isolate/prove the faulty component?

I live near Worthing, Sussex - apart from the main dealers (unaffordable) would anyone know of an experienced expert within reach who could help please?

many thanks.

Ahh Worthing. You are pretty close to me then! I'm sorry I can be more help with regards to a Citroen "expert" but I do know a mechanic in near Eastbourne who I trust, has always been fair, has advanced diagnostics and has solved every problem I've given him over the years.

Just shoot me a P.M if you need his details, he charges the standard rate for labour but I trust he won't spend your money on guesses.

Either way nice to hear from someone nearby on here, shame it's not good news though.
Thanks. Appreciate the offer, and am in the fortunate position of having good local support ...I was really wondering if I might find an "expert" with very specific expertise/experience who has seen/diagnosed/fixed this issue before. Perhaps hoping for the Holy Grail!

thanks again