Berlingo Forum

Full Version: 1.6hdi 40mpg ☹️
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi. I’m nee to the forum. Just got a 2011 citroen berlingo multispace 
Have done about 400 miles in it. And on the motorway it’s saying it’s only doing 40mpg. 
Not shere if there is anything I can check on the engine. Did find some dpf cleaner in the back of it. Not shere if the dpf can make them hard on fuel. 
I thought the 1.6hdi should be doing 55mpg or more at 70mph 
Any help would be great
I think you'll find once you go over 60 it drops quite a bit. Mine averages 39 in town and about 48 in mixed motorway cruising. I've never seen 55 yet. Even though it's not a bad body shape, it's still a bit of a garden shed in the aerodynamics area and that's my mpg with the van empty. The car has even more weight with the added interior so I doubt you'll ever get 55 unless you stay down at 60 mph.

I've had 3 of them over the last 10 years and they've all been like that. What HP model is it? The lower powered ones are working pretty hard at 70 I find.

I get about 450 real miles per tank between fill-ups.

The M59 was smaller and lighter and did more like 550 but the B9 is a much bigger lump all round.

Worth checking your tyre pressures are hard enough too. A few psi below the required amount will knock a good few mpg off. As does having loads of stuff in the boot and/or a car full of passengers.
The difference in economy between 55mph and 75mph is frequently significant, especially with vehicles that are not especially aerodynamic (such as vans).  I remember as a teenager I noticed that in car magazine road tests, the mpg at 75mph was often akin to the figure for urban town driving with all the starts and stops, and by far the best economy figure was always the one at constant 56mph. Things like roof racks and even open windows can also increase drag, most noticeably at higher speeds.
It’s a 90bhp. Been reving it out when pulling on to bigger roads and it does start to feel like it’s faster. Think it’s just clogged up. Have a full service kit there for it and I think il do a Regeneration of the dpf. I’m a hgv mechanic. Don’t do the small stuff to often and I’m not in that side of the trade to know a lot about the hdi.
Is there anything else I should be checking. Was thinking egr valve
Never seen the EGR cause poor consumption as it's only open when idling or on the over run. But you never know - especially if it's jammed open.

Try pulling the MAF plug - wait a full three minutes after the ignition is off and the door is closed before disconnecting it. Then try driving it with no MAF and see what the difference is. The EGR is permanently closed if the MAF is not detected. Default airflow map is used in this case.

Next, blank the EGR and see if that helps the power output / consumption. But, I'd bet my last quid that no matter what you do, you'll never see 55 on the trip computer long term fuel consumption. You'll be very lucky to hit 50 by driving like miss daisy.
Thanks for the help. Il Meby blank off the egr valve and see if it goes any batter. And il do the service on it and see if it gets any battter. Have loads of engine oil here so I think il flush that through it to Meby help things like the turbo last. Then put the proper stuff in it.
Take care with the oil that you use, specially if there's a DPF. I think my 1.6 M59 averaged about 50mpg, anything over 55-60mph used a lot more fuel. A few years ago I had a diesel Sierra, I don't think even that would do 55mpg at 70mph.
Have to agree, my M59 was way better on fuel than the B9 I have now but both drop like a stone above 60.

I had the instant fuel consumption up on the display during a run to work, which is only 5 miles but has a section where I climb an on-ramp of about 150m up hill in 4th at 60 and it was registering 28!
My 1.6 HDi averages about 53mpg, with mostly short rural journeys. 
At 70+ mph, I usually get about 48+ mpg and when driving on those endless 50mph stretches, reports about 68 - 73 mpg.
Harry, is yours an M59 or a B9?
Pages: 1 2