Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Warning on screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On start up today my berlingo beeped and flashed a warning at me in the little screen (not the dashboard), something about engine pressure. I didn’t get to read it fully as when it beeped I was looking at the dashboard to see what warning light was on - there wasn’t any! By the time I’d looked over at the screen all I managed to read was ‘engine pressure...’ before it disappeared? I’m going to call the dealer in a bit, only had it just over a week  Confused but wondered if anyone knew what is was all about? I’d presume if it was something serious I’d get a warning light on the dashboard too and it wouldn’t disappear?
The year of the vehicle along with the engine type & mileage is always helpful when posting queries like this.

If you put your vehicle details in your signature they will be displayed at the bottom of each post you make, you then don't have to remember to keep listing them!

I take you have checked the oil level on the dipstick?

(31-03-2021, 11:33 AM)jj9 Wrote: [ -> ]The year of the vehicle along with the engine type & mileage is always helpful when posting queries like this.

If you put your vehicle details in your signature they will be displayed at the bottom of each post you make, you then don't have to remember to keep listing them!

I take you have checked the oil level on the dipstick?

Ah sorry, good point! 2013 enterprise 1.6 hdi, 54000. Oil looks fine, they serviced it before I picked it up, doesn’t look like it’s gone down at all. I just called the dealer, didn’t seem that concerned and said it could just be a bit of dirt on the sensor or condensation or something (also asked if I’d checked the oil level) and to see if it happens again. He said if it was anything critical the dashboard light would be on too. I’ve got it booked in for a timing belt change in a week so as long as it’s ok to drive I’ll get them to look at it. I was just concerned I shouldn’t be driving it as google and the handbook only come up with the dashboard light! Switched the engine off and back on again and it didn’t display the warning again.
I wonder if the message you saw was "Engine Oil Pressure Low".

I've once seen an "Engine Oil Pressure Low" warning message on the display when the engine cut out due to a defective crank position sensor signal, as the engine cut out the message flashed up on the display screen but disappeared quickly just like yours did.

A bit of research into the warning message showed that this message can sometimes pop up when the engine cuts out / stalls, I suppose it could equally pop up when first starting, if for a split second the signal from the crank sensor was misinterpreted.... I'm just thinking out loud here.

If you have checked the Oil level and it's ok I would just monitor the situation, see if the warning message pops up any more, if so it needs further investigation, if not it could just be one of those things you get with electronics on vehicles.

Maybe you could ask the garage to test the engine oil pressure when it's in for the timing belt change, not every garage will have the equipment to do this but they may have.

(31-03-2021, 12:53 PM)jj9 Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if the message you saw was "Engine Oil Pressure Low".

I've once seen an "Engine Oil Pressure Low" warning message on the display when the engine cut out due to a defective crank position sensor signal, as the engine cut out the message flashed up on the display screen but disappeared quickly just like yours did.

A bit of research into the warning message showed that this message can sometimes pop up when the engine cuts out / stalls, I suppose it could equally pop up when first starting, if for a split second the signal from the crank sensor was misinterpreted.... I'm just thinking out loud here.

If you have checked the Oil level and it's ok I would just monitor the situation, see if the warning message pops up any more, if so it needs further investigation, if not it could just be one of those things you get with electronics on vehicles.

Maybe you could ask the garage to test the engine oil pressure when it's in for the timing belt change, not every garage will have the equipment to do this but they may have.

It definitely said engine pressure, I ‘think’ it said fault/failure after that but can’t be 100% sure as it flicked off as I was reading it. The handbook says if the engine warning light is on and its engine pressure failure not to drive it as it can cause irreparable damage, which is why I was concerned. But the dealer doesn’t seem bothered as there’s no dashboard warning light. I’d hope if it was a serious problem the dashboard light would come on and stay on? I’ll ask the garage next Wednesday, I do have 6 months warranty but it’s worrying me a bit as I need it for work, that and I’ve already bought a new mat and bits and bobs to smarten it up. Oil level is definitely ok, same as when I first looked at it, nice and clean too so it was changed in the service. I don’t really know a lot about engines, apart from repairs I’ve had to have done on previous cars. Thanks anyway Smile
Hi Guys
Are these Berlingos so very different?
Normally I would expect a fault code to be stored, which could be read by an OBD reader.
Is that not the case with these vehicles?

Geoff
(31-03-2021, 02:47 PM)Wilf Wrote: [ -> ]It definitely said engine pressure, I ‘think’ it said fault/failure after that but can’t be 100% sure as it flicked off as I was reading it. The handbook says if the engine warning light is on and its engine pressure failure not to drive it as it can cause irreparable damage, which is why I was concerned. But the dealer doesn’t seem bothered as there’s no dashboard warning light. I’d hope if it was a serious problem the dashboard light would come on and stay on? I’ll ask the garage next Wednesday, I do have 6 months warranty but it’s worrying me a bit as I need it for work, that and I’ve already bought a new mat and bits and bobs to smarten it up. Oil level is definitely ok, same as when I first looked at it, nice and clean too so it was changed in the service. I don’t really know a lot about engines, apart from repairs I’ve had to have done on previous cars. Thanks anyway Smile

The message may not have been a low oil pressure warning it may have been something else, I really wouldn't worry too much about it, it may have been a Red Herring like the message I reported.

If there is something failing I'm sure you will see the message again, so as said just monitor the situation.  Wink

(31-03-2021, 02:59 PM)Guanock Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Guys
Are these Berlingos so very different?
Normally I would expect a fault code to be stored, which could be read by an OBD reader.
Is that not the case with these vehicles?

Geoff

Yes, a stored fault code is a possibility, in the example I gave above there was a fault code to indicate the crank sensor signal was intermittent.

The generic codes can be read by anything, but the manufacturer specific codes cant. There are a lot of specific codes on every brand that generic readers can't get access to. Just the way it is.

Citroen use DiagBox. That's the software that reads everything. VAG use VagCom. Vauxhall use Tech 2 and OpCom. BMW use INPA.

Generic readers can only get at engine codes and even then, only the basic stuff.
Turns out it’s the bsi unit, they said it was throwing up loads of error messages. He reset it for me and said to see how it goes over the next week.