Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Berlingo van 1.6 hdi 63 plate wont start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi . Looking for a little help 
I went out and started my van before going to work this morning, it started as normal as I walked back to the house I heard the van splutter and stall , I tried a couple times to get it to start with no Luck 
I looked on the dash computer fault list and the only fault was Key fob battery, so up to timsons for a new battery after work , came home and tried starting again with no luck , I did try and re sync the key to the van again before I tried 
I have primed the fuel filter with the primer pump and it does have fuel coming to it but still it won’t start 
Any help on this would be very helpful as I’m truly lost on what to try now
The battery does not affect starting or running, it's only used for the door unlocking function. Engine start is controlled by a tiny transponder chip in the key circuit board and that part requires no battery to operate.

You will have to get it scanned by a proper garage system or Diagbox (Citroen software) for fault codes - it could be a failed engine crank sensor, cam sync sensor, fuel pressure regulator, HP pump, fuel injector fault, jumped timing belt...in fact many things.

Generic code readers are not much use on these either before you rush out to Halfords and buy one. Get a good mobile mechanic round to scan it. Or the AA and go from there. Need to know cranking fuel pressure is ok and cam / crank sync is ok along with start authorisation from the immobiliser.
(18-12-2022, 04:55 AM)Zion Wrote: [ -> ]The battery does not affect starting or running, it's only used for the door unlocking function. Engine start is controlled by a tiny transponder chip in the key circuit board and that part requires no battery to operate.

You will have to get it scanned by a proper garage system or Diagbox (Citroen software) for fault codes  - it could be a failed engine crank sensor, cam sync sensor, fuel pressure regulator, HP pump, fuel injector fault, jumped timing belt...in fact many things.

Generic code readers are not much use on these either before you rush out to Halfords and buy one. Get a good mobile mechanic round to scan it. Or the AA and go from there. Need to know cranking fuel pressure is ok and cam / crank sync is ok along with start authorisation from the immobiliser.

Thanks for the reply , in the end I removed the pipe to an injector , cranked it over then tighten it up again and the van started no problem. 
But two mornings ago , another frosty start and it did the same again , ran for 10 seconds and it stopped, so I followed the same procedure at night after work and it started no problem 
Is there some ice getting in the wrong place and annoying it ? Or is it something more sinister ?‍♂️ 
Ps no fault codes the other morning when it failed to start
No idea. What are you using to get fault codes? Nothing works except Citroen Diagbox so a generic OBD reader will find nothing on a K9.
Is it actually a K9? I thought they were introduced in 2018. The OP's is 2013.

Geoff
Sorry I could swear I saw 2019 somewhere! How the **** did that happen?

Ok thanks Geoff. I'm getting senile.

I'm not sure mate, it's possible the engine coolant sensor is showing a crazy value, I've seen -50 wrongly detected causing no start (the ECU being programmed to prevent engine start with gelled fuel) - do you have a Bluetooth adaptor like a vGate iCar from Amazon or a Carly adaptor? These work on Citroen using the Torque Pro app or the Car Scanner app on Google play. Also FAP Citroen app in Amazon play store to get codes.
(17-03-2023, 08:07 AM)Zion Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry I could swear I saw 2019 somewhere! How the **** did that happen?

Ok thanks Geoff. I'm getting senile.

I'm not sure mate, it's possible the engine coolant sensor is showing a crazy value, I've seen -50 wrongly detected causing no start (the ECU being programmed to prevent engine start with gelled fuel) - do you have a Bluetooth adaptor like a vGate iCar from Amazon or a Carly adaptor? These work on Citroen using the Torque Pro app or the Car Scanner app on Google play. Also FAP Citroen app in Amazon play store to get codes.

I too have experienced sputter and few failed cranks before start due to failing coolant temp sensor. Ecu uses it to generate correct fuel/air mix for engine start. Havent had one fail enough to prevent vehicle start completely however. You'd be able to tell if the van dashboard temp shows as over 50c on ignition from cold start...