Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Berlingo 1.9d was hard to start, now wont start at all
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello fellow berlingo people. I have recently got a problem with my berlingo. A few days ago i stopped by a friend. When i then went out to go home, about 20 minutes later, i had troubles starting the car. I cranked it about 5 second and it didnt even try. Did the exact same thing one more time. Then at the third attempt it was really close to starting, so close the car even thought it was running and turned on the lights and blower. But it didnt quite start. At the fourth attempt the car finally started. Then i went home and forgot about it. Then the next day i went to start the car and this time i didnt get it to start. Tried using the priming thing next to the fuel filter but still nothing. Then tried cracking one of the injector lines and i get no fuel to there. Have also tried the fuel line directly on the pump and no fuel there either. I have change all the glowplugs and that doesnt help either. I have tried a bsi reset but im not sure how i can know if it actually reset. I can hear the fuel shutoff solenoid click although i guess that doesnt mean it surely works, but i feel like the hard starting behavior i got the first time isnt because of a bad fuel shutoff solenoid. What could my problem be? I know it diesel pump has fuel to it, but i dont get any fuel out of it. 
Im happy for any tips or help, thanks. The engine code is DW8B i think or just DW8
You really need it scanned for proper fault codes using a decent system like Diagbox or Autel 808 to know what's wrong, even then you may only find consequential codes like "fuel pressure less than commanded" etc..

Maybe the pump has quit. Maybe the fuel pressure regulator has quit. Maybe the fuel filter housing has cracked. These are most likely, but there are dozens of reasons and no one can guess accurately enough, it needs tested and scanned.
(18-01-2023, 06:31 PM)Zion Wrote: [ -> ]You really need it scanned for proper fault codes using a decent system like Diagbox or Autel 808 to know what's wrong, even then you may only find consequential codes like "fuel pressure less than commanded" etc..

Maybe the pump has quit. Maybe the fuel pressure regulator has quit. Maybe the fuel filter housing has cracked. These are most likely, but there are dozens of reasons and no one can guess accurately enough, it needs tested and scanned.

Thanks for the answer. I feel like if the fuel pump has given up it wouldnt have started that first time when i started getting problems. But maybe im wrong. 
One thing i did notice when trying to get it started was that i had one air bubble in the clear tube running from the fuel filter to the fuel pump. When cranking the car the air bubble didnt even move. But when i cranked the car and at the same time used the fuel filter pump i got the bubble to disappear. Also the fuel filter pump leaks a lot of diesel when pumping it, but nothing when im not pumping it. Could it be a diaphragm that is letting air in or something? 
I will try to find someone who can scan it cheaply.
That sounds like the issue then. If fuel escapes the air can get in..this would also cause the problems you have. Scanning will only show low fuel pressure issues, if you have a fuel / air leak then it needs fixed and all should be well.
(19-01-2023, 07:02 AM)Zion Wrote: [ -> ]That sounds like the issue then. If fuel escapes the air can get in..this would also cause the problems you have. Scanning will only show low fuel pressure issues, if you have a fuel / air leak then it needs fixed and all should be well.

Do you think i should try replacing that primer pump next to the fuel filter?
Yes if it's leaking when you squeeze it. The fuel system must be sealed in all places or it will be troublesome.
I agree, You need an air tight fuel circuit, if not air will weep in and allow the fuel to run back to the tank.

If the filter / pump assembly is the one I think it is the part number is 1911 44 search on ebay with this number to see if it's the correct one.

Sound like you both might be right. I will go to the scrapyard and take a filter housing from one of the berlingos that are slammed to the ground in the rear Big Grin Looks kinda cool i must say
Well thanks for all the help, but now its solved. It wasnt anything of this, or maybe you could say it was the fuel solenoid. This car is built to what we in Sweden call an "A-Traktor" its basically a car that is in some way rebuilt so it can only go in 30km/h and you can drive it if you are 15 years old. I use a small electrical box that uses speed signals and rpm signals to make the fuel solenoid shut off when it reaches 30km/h. Basically that box isnt working. Sorry for taking your time but i wanted to try everything before looking at that box since its built into another box so you cant easily manipulate it. So i had to get a bit illegal and open the box that the box was in and hook up 12 volts directly to the fuel solenoid. And it starts right up!!
Thanks again, i have learned a lot of troubleshooting things and the pump that i changed definetly needed to be changed anyways.
Glad to hear it's working.