Berlingo Forum

Full Version: What should I get for my second Berlingo?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So,  I love my 21 year old Berlingo and would hapilly drive it till it really can't keep going. However i will be in the London ULEZ zone at the end of August so I really need to get something ulez compliant.

I've done a test drive of the new electric Berlingo, and although I do think the future is electric,  the range isn't that good (180 on paper) and we occasionally drive to the south of France so I think it would just be too slow to stop to charge every 150 miles. Also way too expensive. 

Also i don't really like the new carpeted boot on the new berlingoes. I'm a Sculptor so I need the big utilitarian boot with hooks etc.  

The only second hand ulez compliant petrol ones I can find have automatic transmission and I've been advised that can be very expensive if it breaks so was advised not to get a second hand automatic. 

I also saw that they do a crew van that has seats in the back but no windows. I think you can get grants to buy commercial electric vehicles. I do need the Berlingo for work reasons,  but I use it as a family car too,. 1 have 3 kids,  so not sure they will like sitting in the back without windows.  But what other draw backs are there to running a commercial vehicle? I don't think I'll be able to use the council recycling centre, are there different road tolls? I heard someone getting a fine for their van  being too heavy for a Thames crossing. 

Have any of you experience of any of these issues. 

Should i just get a second hand automatic berlingo?
Shall i get a new electric cargo van? 

It needs to be
Petrol: Euro 4 (NOx)
Or
Diesel: Euro 6 (NOx and PM)

So after 2005 for petrol,  or after 2015 for diesel.

Thanks
Citroen are bringing back petrol and diesel Berlingos due to the demand

Peter
What's the price for a new battery once the original wears out to uselessness in 70,000 miles?
Are ULEZ cameras smart enough to notice the 50 year old Lister Petter diesel generator chugging away on your trailer? Cool
(24-03-2023, 11:34 AM)RIPmy2002Multispace Wrote: [ -> ]But what other draw backs are there to running a commercial vehicle? I don't think I'll be able to use the council recycling centre, are there different road tolls?

On the issue of using a van to take stuff to council tips, although the basic principle (commercial waste incurs a charge) is the same, I've found that different councils vary in their approach.  Sites in London that I used years ago tended to be strict about insisting all vans use the weighbridge and get charged.  Up here in Derbyshire they're fairly relaxed if there's no signage on the van and the quantities of waste involved aren't taking the p*ss.  I've also used a site near Milton Keynes where if you could prove residence within the borough, they weren't too concerned what kind of vehicle you used.
Am I missing something? why don't you get a B9/K9 Euro 6 Diesel? It ticks the ULEZ box, huge range, good fuel efficiency and you can get rubber/plastic moulded full luggage area mats.
Having had B9(s) and now a K9, I'd say the K9 is sufficiently improved to justify the extra cost
(24-03-2023, 11:34 AM)RIPmy2002Multispace Wrote: [ -> ]So,  I love my 21 year old Berlingo and would hapilly drive it till it really can't keep going. However i will be in the London ULEZ zone at the end of August so I really need to get something ulez compliant.

I've done a test drive of the new electric Berlingo, and although I do think the future is electric,  the range isn't that good (180 on paper) and we occasionally drive to the south of France so I think it would just be too slow to stop to charge every 150 miles. Also way too expensive. 

Also i don't really like the new carpeted boot on the new berlingoes. I'm a Sculptor so I need the big utilitarian boot with hooks etc.  

The only second hand ulez compliant petrol ones I can find have automatic transmission and I've been advised that can be very expensive if it breaks so was advised not to get a second hand automatic. 

I also saw that they do a crew van that has seats in the back but no windows. I think you can get grants to buy commercial electric vehicles. I do need the Berlingo for work reasons,  but I use it as a family car too,. 1 have 3 kids,  so not sure they will like sitting in the back without windows.  But what other draw backs are there to running a commercial vehicle? I don't think I'll be able to use the council recycling centre, are there different road tolls? I heard someone getting a fine for their van  being too heavy for a Thames crossing. 

Have any of you experience of any of these issues. 

Should i just get a second hand automatic berlingo?
Shall i get a new electric cargo van? 

It needs to be
Petrol: Euro 4 (NOx)
Or
Diesel: Euro 6 (NOx and PM)

So after 2005 for petrol,  or after 2015 for diesel.

Thanks
My 59' reg multispace is the 1.6l petrol and manual. They are out there, you've got to be like a hawk and be on the hunt non stop though

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
(24-03-2023, 08:39 PM)Matt Haigh Wrote: [ -> ]Am I missing something? why don't you get a B9/K9 Euro 6 Diesel? It ticks the ULEZ box, huge range, good fuel efficiency and you can get rubber/plastic moulded full luggage area mats.
Having had B9(s) and now a K9, I'd say the K9 is sufficiently improved to justify the extra cost
Probably because of the colossal outlay required

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
My van is a euro 6 diesel, 2017 and is fully ULEZ compliant. I paid £9k for it with 64k miles on it.

I have to say though, that this is my last tango with diesel. Next will be a petrol estate car. It's a shame they don't make the transit in good old 2.0 or 2.5 petrol any more.