Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Rear view camera (not reversing).
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have recently acquired an MK2 (56 plate) berlingo 1.9D (van) which overall I'm very happy with.

A mod I would like to try (already got components) is to instal a reversing type camera but with a constant feed. Reason for this is full bulkhead & security grilles (no middle rearview).

Would very much appreciate your comments, someone mentioned this would be illegal as TVs on the move isn't allowed? Anyone know if this would be true?

Regarding wiring I would like a camera that starts with ignition turned. A reversing cameras wiring into reverselight wouldn't work. Have been thinking about rear courtesy light? Current camera draws 60mA, if happy with outcome I might also instal cargo cam (monitor got two inputs).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure about the legality side of it but it depends where your monitor is?

Mine is a rear view mirror with a 2.5" screen built in, if yours is the same I think you could have a ignition live as its the same as having a rear view mirror.

I'm thinking of having mine on a ignition live rather than switched when reversing.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...0646408072

I have this in my daily driver the main unit sits behind the rear view mirror facing forwards, and the flying lead rear camera is at the top of the rear screen. The lead to connect the rear camera is very long, will easily route to the back of a van.

Front unit records HD with infrared LEDs to enhance the picture in low light.

Rear camera is standard quality, and you can switch the screen to display just the front, just the rear, or both feeds on the screen.

It records onto a Micro SD in setable time periods, then when the memory is full, it goes back and records over the earliest files.

Automatically powers up and starts recording when the ignition is turned on, and switches off a preset time after the ignition is turned off.
(11-11-2012, 10:18 AM)LowLingo Wrote: [ -> ]http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...0646408072

I have this in my daily driver the main unit sits behind the rear view mirror facing forwards, and the flying lead rear camera is at the top of the rear screen. The lead to connect the rear camera is very long, will easily route to the back of a van.

Front unit records HD with infrared LEDs to enhance the picture in low light.

Rear camera is standard quality, and you can switch the screen to display just the front, just the rear, or both feeds on the screen.

It records onto a Micro SD in setable time periods, then when the memory is full, it goes back and records over the earliest files.

Automatically powers up and starts recording when the ignition is turned on, and switches off a preset time after the ignition is turned off.

Where have you taken the power from? My reversing camera and monitor are wired to the reserving light but I'd like to change it to turn on with the ignition.
(11-11-2012, 12:05 PM)vinny048 Wrote: [ -> ]Where have you taken the power from? My reversing camera and monitor are wired to the reserving light but I'd like to change it to turn on with the ignition.

Currently using the supplied cigarette lighter adaptor, as the lighter only comes on with the ignition.
(11-11-2012, 03:31 PM)LowLingo Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-11-2012, 12:05 PM)vinny048 Wrote: [ -> ]Where have you taken the power from? My reversing camera and monitor are wired to the reserving light but I'd like to change it to turn on with the ignition.

Currently using the supplied cigarette lighter adaptor, as the lighter only comes on with the ignition.

My planned setup requires two power sources, monitor (4,3" TFT/LCD) and camera (60mA IR cam). Possibly a secondary camera at later stage.

Monitor will be wired straight to cig lighter (12v already in use) through a socket (for easy removal). Did consider a "rear mirror monitor", did also consider a slightly larger screen mounted on cabinside bulkhead (to view through ordinary rearview mirror) but settled for a small and simple screen that is easily removable.

Camera will be placed between window and grilles but require an ignition powered feed. Have been considering third brake light and cargo courtesy light. Courtesy light would be nice as this circuit is on a 20 fuse.

All in all I want to run lightning (LED), 2x cams (2 x 60mA), monitor (3w), mobile (galaxy s2) on this circuit. Not to good with electrics, any input on this load and where I might tap into?
It is, unfortunately, illegal.
You could be done for driving without due care and attention.
If a reversing camera is fitted, with a screen within the drivers view, it can only operate when neutral or reverse gear is selected.
Screens can only show information (think they mean data etc.) not moving pictures (TV, video, etc.) whilst the vehicle is moving forward.
The other problem is the windscreen.
The only thing that is legally allowed on the windscreen is the tax disc.
(And that should be in the N/S bottom corner.)
Depending on their position, sat nav mounts and phone cradles, could be deemed illegal. My neighbours car almost failed its MOT last month because his sat nav cradle, although in the bottom O/S corner, was within the sweep of the wipers. Just.
In-car DVD players are only supposed to operate when the handbrake is on.
You need to check Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.
As with most things, whether you are procecuted is down to the Police and/or the Courts.
Be careful out there...
(11-11-2012, 07:56 PM)j90xxx Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing that is legally allowed on the windscreen is the tax disc.
(And that should be in the N/S bottom corner.)

It is not required to be at the bottom of the screen, only at the edge of the windscreen closest to the N/S, if the vehicle has a full width windscreen.

My forward facing camera is position behind the rear view mirror, where it is completely obscured from the driver's seat, therefore I cannot view the screen, nor does it obscure any visible part of the windscreen, therefore I think I would be in a reasonable position of defense should I be pulled up for it.
Mmm...?
There ARE requirements for displaying a tax disc, but you are correct, not necessarily at the bottom corner of the windscreen.
Although that is probably the 'best' place so not to interfere with forward vision.
Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002 explains....
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/...ion/6/made
(11-11-2012, 08:32 PM)j90xxx Wrote: [ -> ]Mmm...?
There ARE requirements for displaying a tax disc, but you are correct, not necessarily at the bottom corner of the windscreen.
Although that is probably the 'best' place so not to interfere with forward vision.
Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002 explains....
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/...ion/6/made

Thanks, I'm already aware of the R&L Legislation, hence my comment regarding not needing it at the bottom of the screen.
Pages: 1 2 3