Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Winter Tyres.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I've been strongly advised to get winteer tyres on my Bingo as, allegedly, they are hopeless in poor conditions...:S

So just spoken to my local McConechy's Tyres who have quoted me on a Goodyear Ultragrip 8 tyre.

Has anyone had, got or getting winter tyres this year and does anyone know what these Goodyear ones are like?

Cheers,

MCCool
Shop around before you buy there can be a massive price difference.
I got a set for £72 each.
http://www.blackcircles.com/
I got winter tyres last year for the first time and mine are goodyear Ultragrip 7.

I bought mine part worn and they were £100 fitted for 4 with loads of grip left.

I had a thread last year and some photo's of them:

tyres

However, last years weather was rather tame, so I didn't get too much chance to test them out!!
(22-11-2012, 03:28 PM)philip Wrote: [ -> ]Shop around before you buy there can be a massive price difference.
I got a set for £72 each.
http://www.blackcircles.com/

Been quoted £64.44 each fully fitted for the Ultragrip8 ones. Mind you ATS are advertising Riken ones for £47.99 fully fitted....

http://shop.atseuromaster.co.uk/eshop/en...e/rf/false
Hopeless? -I think that is really only an allegation -perhaps with an alterior motive...

No-one who has bought a set of winter tyres is ever going to admit they didnt actually need them.

Ive had 3 Blingo's and they've all stuck to the blacktop like proverbial to a blanket on OEM Michelin Energy Savers.
They only time I've ever had sphincter shinking moments is on a muddy down hill slope in a field and on hard packed refrozen snow-neither of which being what road tyres were designed for.

There is a difference between true "M+S" and "Winter " tyres -my experiences prove the latter really arent worth the bother unless you needed immediate replacements anyway

Boys and their toys-the tyre industry would try to sell sand to ragheads (bait) if they got them beleiving they needed it.
Thanks for that link Tucker, as my two front tyres are needing replacement soon I was considering getting some winter tyres to put on my steel wheels instead, and sort out some summer tyres next year.

I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to tyres, I've noticed a lot of the ones on Ebay are "remoulds" which I'm not particularly willing to try, but a decent set of part-worns from Michelin etc sound slike a good compromise.
I've never felt the need for winter tyres, I just drive in accordance to the conditions Wink

Sent from my rubbish BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
The handbook for our 'lingo says that if you fit Winter tyres you should fit a different set of wheel bolts, no doubt available from your Citroen dealer in exchange for many beer tokens.
Don't ask me why - I'm not a mechanical engineer. Could give some wriggle room for some eagle-eyed insurance assessor/loss adjuster though when they've hauled the last mortal remains of your beloved Berlingo out of the hedge..."Awfully sorry Sir, we won't be able to honour any claim - I see you have incompatible wheelbolts for that type of tyre".
Insurance companies are becoming ever more picky and savvy about after market mods to vehicles, and if they can see a way out of coughing up they will.

My ten-penn'orth.....
I've had my Berli two years now and have driven on local roads in a variety of conditions ranging from fresh snow, packed snow, packed snow/ice and black ice. Using both the stock Michelin Energy Savers and the Continental TS 830s I bought. Under local conditions I wouldn't have gotten very far with the summer tyres. They slip and slide a lot. With the winter tyres I get up my hill to my garage. With the summer tyres I skid to a stop on the side of the road and leave the car there. To me winter tyres are worth it.
Yeah I don't think hopeless is acurate for describing the berlingo in winter generally at all.

I've not had any real problems with it in 8 years except 2 years ago when it was particularly bad and we had snow and ice for about 6 weeks solid. Everyone in my area was in the same boat. I got stuck a few times and with it being a bit hilly, it pursuaded me to give winter, well M&S tyres, a crack.

The Ultragrips seems a decent tyre.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7