Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Diesel Fuel Leak - Pump?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
:wave: So yesterday having managed to get my Van rear door to lock and refuse to unlock and came on this forum to seek advise I was all happy that with your help I resolved it only to smell fuel...

Popped the bonnet, there right in front of me was a pubble of Derv sitting on what I presume is the Diesel pump? (see pic). This morning it had created a nice large damp patch under the Van so I think its a bad leak. Before I go and get fleeced by the garage, does anyone know what the prognosis is? It appears to be leaking from one of the two entry points on the top (the bits with the springs).

Thanks everyone and sorry to be a burden!

[Image: 2wqbqc9.jpg]
It might be the fuel leak-back pipe which has hardened or cracked. Happened to us. Not expensive or difficult - but it's worth getting the correct pipe from your Citrogen or Pug dealer. I tried pipe from a general motor factor which only lasted 2 days before flying off again!
If you look at the top of the engine you will see the 4 injectors, with the steel high-pressure pipes going into them, and the leak-back plastic pipes running between them, shoved onto nipples on the injector sides, with a final longer length of the same kind of pipe running back to the top of the pump. That's the one that cracked on ours (Pug 205 1.9 diesel). Symptoms exactly the same as yours. We were told it's worth replacing them anyway as a precaution on an older engine.
Hope it's that and not something more complicated - Good Luck!
Richard.
Thanks. I'm stuck at work at the moment but I plan to run it during daylight and stand there to watch and wait to see where it is coming from. The puddle of fuel was (on the pic) on the silver surface right where the embossed little picture frame thing is but in the dark I couldn't see it dripping out anywhere obvious so I'll check where you say which I think is further back and up from there to see if its running down to that point or just squirting down there.
The black pipe - is that your feed from the tank? Is there a low pressure pump in the tank? If so, possibly it's leaking at the banjo union, or slightly uphill from it.
(21-03-2013, 11:47 AM)addo Wrote: [ -> ]The black pipe - is that your feed from the tank? Is there a low pressure pump in the tank? If so, possibly it's leaking at the banjo union, or slightly uphill from it.

Okay, thanks, that's a good call I will follow the pipe backwards if I can't see any obvious leaks. I assume a Banjo Union looks like a little Banjo?Confusedcratch:
[attachment=971][attachment=972]
(21-03-2013, 11:19 AM)CandR Wrote: [ -> ]It might be the fuel leak-back pipe which has hardened or cracked. Happened to us. Not expensive or difficult - but it's worth getting the correct pipe from your Citrogen or Pug dealer. I tried pipe from a general motor factor which only lasted 2 days before flying off again!
If you look at the top of the engine you will see the 4 injectors, with the steel high-pressure pipes going into them, and the leak-back plastic pipes running between them, shoved onto nipples on the injector sides, with a final longer length of the same kind of pipe running back to the top of the pump. That's the one that cracked on ours (Pug 205 1.9 diesel). Symptoms exactly the same as yours. We were told it's worth replacing them anyway as a precaution on an older engine.
Hope it's that and not something more complicated - Good Luck!
Richard.

Okay, had a chance to look in daylight. The problem is clearly sucking in air somewhere as it was a pig to start, as soon as it eventually did start, it was apparent that it is leaking from beneath a spring on what I think is the throttle body? Can anyone tell me if I can simply undo this to access, inspect and replace whatever it is that's leaking of if by undoing this I will disturb something and make my problem worse? (See new pics).
There is an O ring on the throttle spindle,which sometimes leaks.You can buy a kit for it.
Okay, so an update. Having spoken to several mechanics I've been assured that where it is leaking from on top of the pump via the throttle seal, that this is an internal seal and the only fix is a new fuel pump or a recon pump. So, unless anyone has any suggestions then it looks like I'm off to the breakers!
Ron was right (not surprising, given his background)! If you can positively identify the pump version by looking it up against your VIN, then surf the internet for peoples' stories of how they've tackled it. A few pictures thus gleaned will help confidence levels.
(22-03-2013, 12:31 PM)addo Wrote: [ -> ]Ron was right (not surprising, given his background)! If you can positively identify the pump version by looking it up against your VIN, then surf the internet for peoples' stories of how they've tackled it. A few pictures thus gleaned will help confidence levels.

There are no apparent identification marks on the pump or numbers or anything obvious. Something that connects to the top of the pump from the throttle near the cable is branded Bosch so perhaps it is the Bosch fuel pump. I've scoured the net all morning. All I can find are the odd garage here and there that want £350 for a recon pump. Don't think the Van is worth that scrap so unless I can find the right part and unless it's a bolt off/on job for someone like me with basic spanner skills then she's deceased. Sad

(21-03-2013, 09:01 PM)ron Wrote: [ -> ]There is an O ring on the throttle spindle,which sometimes leaks.You can buy a kit for it.

Ron. Any idea where? I've spoken to a few motor parts people and they've said that they are 'sealed' units and can't be repaired. See below post for the Van VIN and Engine No. Thanks hugely to everyone for your advise on this.
Pages: 1 2