Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Fan not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone I have just joined, bought a 03 multispace in November it's in lovely condition but I don't think the fan has ever worked a flashing stop signal came up on the dash during the winter as the temp gauge soared, the other day same thing happened I can't find a fan switch on the vehicle any ideas?
It helps if you tell us what model,engine type etc you have.
(10-07-2013, 07:15 PM)brodfather11 Wrote: [ -> ]It helps if you tell us what model,engine type etc you have.
Hi thanks it's a 1.6 multispace forte 03
There is a switch on the thermostat housing that has a green connecter block. According to Hayes it is used by the ECU to control the cooling fans , A/C ,EGR, etc. It may be your fan that is duff.
(11-07-2013, 10:54 AM)brodfather11 Wrote: [ -> ]There is a switch on the thermostat housing that has a green connecter block. According to Hayes it is used by the ECU to control the cooling fans , A/C ,EGR, etc. It may be your fan that is duff.
seems to be a bit of a mystery this been on honest johns website and some say it's on the L/H side of rad it isn't where is the thermostat housing forgot to tell you it's petrol
Looking at the engine from the front of the car, the thermostat is at the right h/side of the cylinder head. Not sure about the 1.6 petrol but the 1.4 petrol engine has a air pipe running between the battery and engine. Behind the bracket holding this pipe to the engine is a switch which operates the fans. You would think it has been deliberately hidden. This is below the thermostat housing where the other temp sensor sits

If its not there Rustscrats will know where it is , hes good at these things.

:thumbsup:
(12-07-2013, 07:23 AM)brodfather11 Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at the engine from the front of the car, the thermostat is at the right h/side of the cylinder head. Not sure about the 1.6 petrol but the 1.4 petrol engine has a air pipe running between the battery and engine. Behind the bracket holding this pipe to the engine is a switch which operates the fans. You would think it has been deliberately hidden. This is below the thermostat housing where the other temp sensor sits

If its not there Rustscrats will know where it is , hes good at these things.

:thumbsup:
Not on mine it isn't, beginning to wonder if it's got one?
The thermostat is fund by following the top hose from the radiator to the engine. It is terminate at the thermostat housing.

If your car don't have AC, the fan is controlled by a thermoswitch mounted on the edge of the radiator, a short distance below the top hose.
(can't be arsed to go out and check the colour of the connector, but it' a two-wire thing.)
You should be able to measure 12V between one of the pins on the cable and whatever piece of metal is nearby. (This 12V is not controlled by the ignition swich)
If you do find 12V, momentarily short the two points on the cable together. That should make the fan start.

With AC, though, it's a sensor mounted on the thermostat housing, and it's the AC controller that runs the show.
(16-07-2013, 02:56 PM)Gadgetman Wrote: [ -> ]The thermostat is fund by following the top hose from the radiator to the engine. It is terminate at the thermostat housing.

If your car don't have AC, the fan is controlled by a thermoswitch mounted on the edge of the radiator, a short distance below the top hose.
(can't be arsed to go out and check the colour of the connector, but it' a two-wire thing.)
You should be able to measure 12V between one of the pins on the cable and whatever piece of metal is nearby. (This 12V is not controlled by the ignition swich)
If you do find 12V, momentarily short the two points on the cable together. That should make the fan start.

With AC, though, it's a sensor mounted on the thermostat housing, and it's the AC controller that runs the show.
not on mine it isn't

(16-07-2013, 02:56 PM)Gadgetman Wrote: [ -> ]The thermostat is fund by following the top hose from the radiator to the engine. It is terminate at the thermostat housing.

not on mine it isn't
So, does your car have AC(Air Condition) or not?

Here's the engine compartment of my 1999 1.4i
[attachment=1192]

Here I have removed the air duct so that the top radiator hose is better visible.
[attachment=1193]

Here you can see the thermostat housing, at one end of the radiator hose. Note the temperature sensor. (This is a non-AC car)
[attachment=1194]

The other end of the radiator hose. didn't bother rotating the picture, but you should be able to figure it out. Notice the electric connector directly below the hose? This is the Thermoswitch which controls the fan on a non-AC model.
[attachment=1195]

If your car looks significantly different, I suggest you upload a couple of pictures.
Pages: 1 2