Berlingo Forum

Full Version: front suspension knock
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Knocking noise from offside front suspension - replaced drop links so not them. I can feel movement if I rock the wheel at 12 o'clock, with car on the ground. I think I can feel the movement if I put my hand on the top mount while I'm rocking it with the other so it all points to the top mount worn. Anyone else had similar? Is it a straightforward job? I'm thinking it would make sense to do the shocks at the same time.

2002 mk1 multispace 2.0hdi
Welcome!!
Are you sure the bottom ball joint is ok. Had the same as you on mine.
Griff
thanks Griff. Bought two Lemforder wishbones from mister-auto. Looks a reasonably straightforward job. Haynes use a big lever to pop the balljoint out whereas I would have been tempted to reach for the hammer.
Anything to watch out for? Is there a risk the driveshaft pops out while I'm doing this?
Dave
when i replaced my lower arms the drivers side was easy but the nearsides a bit more fiddly,like you said watch for the driveshaft popping out and puking gearbox oil over your drive!
I have to admit to resorting to a ball joint splitter to get my n/s one off (2002 1.4 has seperate ball joints)
Griff
Well I replaced the wishbones and no improvement so I decided to replace the top mounts. Bought new shocks as well as it seemed daft to put the old ones back on. Just as well I did as it was the offside shock that was knocking.
Glad you got it sorted.
Griff
Just a heads up that I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the drop-links that were worn. Easy enough to remove and check.