Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Big ends?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all
I've just bought a 51 plate multispace. When I rev the engine there is a noise that sounds like a big end has gone but it is not consistent and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse, does anybody have any idea what this could be.
Cheers Chris.
Hi again, I'm not that conversant with British auto terms. What is a big end? A main bearing? Thanks

Tom
(19-06-2011, 04:56 AM)3rensho Wrote: [ -> ]Hi again, I'm not that conversant with British auto terms. What is a big end? A main bearing? Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,a big end is the connecting rod to crankshaft bearing.
Cheers Chris.
Ahhh, thanks. Conrod bearing in American speak.
@ 3Rensho - Little end connects rod to piston via gudgeon pin and big end shells connect rod to crank.
;-)
sent from a telephone that resembles a well known chocolate bar, dosen't taste like it though!
Hi guys, bit of an update having spoken to several people the general concensus seems to be that it is the cat that has failed and the noise is the cat resonating in the exhaust pipe.
Cheers Chris.
Get it cut out and replaced with a piece of straight pipe then
(01-07-2011, 07:06 PM)Coco Wrote: [ -> ]Get it cut out and replaced with a piece of straight pipe then
I could buy an earlier front pipe without the cat but I don't think it would get through the M O T.
Diesels do NOT need a Cat for the MOT - the only test is a "smoke" test

Mine is removed and sailed through the test
(02-07-2011, 04:55 PM)Coco Wrote: [ -> ]Diesels do NOT need a Cat for the MOT - the only test is a "smoke" test

Mine is removed and sailed through the test

Sorry forgot to say mines a 1.4 petrol.
Pages: 1 2