Berlingo Forum
glow plug problem - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M49 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: glow plug problem (/thread-10285.html)

glow plug problem - chris pat casey - 23-07-2014

hi all,got a problem with my berlingo van,i was having trouble starting it,because every time i turned the key the glow plug light on the dash would come on then go off within 2 seconds,was told i needed new glow plugs.so put in new ones today,and its just the same light comes on then off is there a fuse that is causing this to happen or what,its a 2000 van ,diesal, help needed as soon as poss thanks lads

RE: glow plug problem - homeruk - 24-07-2014

That sounds totally normal for the glow plug light.

Glow plugs will not light as long in hot weather as they are generally not needed as much as in cold weather were, you would expect the light to stay on for longer.

Im guessing you have a 1.9?

Once your van has warmed up does it start on the button?

Did you check for power at the plugs before you changed them and did you check if the new plugs or old ones were/are working?

Do you wait until the glow plug light has gone out before attempting to start the van?

RE: glow plug problem - chris pat casey - 24-07-2014

homeruk,thanks for answering ,it was working perfect the light would stay on for about 5 secs and then it would start great,what happens now is the light comes on for a second then goes off,it wont start from cold, once it has started its great,at the moment i have to bump start it,how would i know if the plugs are not heating up,please take into consideration that i know naff all about engines,thanks chris

RE: glow plug problem - sol berlingo - 06-10-2014

(24-07-2014, 02:42 PM)chris pat casey Wrote:  homeruk,thanks for answering ,it was working perfect the light would stay on for about 5 secs and then it would start great,what happens now is the light comes on for a second then goes off,it wont start from cold, once it has started its great,at the moment i have to bump start it,how would i know if the plugs are not heating up,please take into consideration that i know naff all about engines,thanks chris

Chris I have this problem with my van.. did you find out what was causing the problem? Thanks sol

RE: glow plug problem - brodfather11 - 06-10-2014

As homeruk said the glow plugs come on briefly  but only on the newer models, they don't work unless the temp is about 1 or 2 degrees cent. The older ones such as yours and mine need a lot longer and come on whether its warm or cold weather, I usually give mine two goes ( key on until light goes out then again)  in the morning and it starts but with only one go after that.  Once it starts the power to the glow should continue after the light goes out for about 10-15 secs.
There is a relay under the battery that controls the glow plugs and they suffer from corrosion at the connectors and earth . A search of the forum should bring up more details , Rustcrats was an expert on them and their problems.