Berlingo Forum
Sump leak - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Sump leak (/thread-13659.html)

Pages: 1 2

Sump leak - kluch255 - 28-05-2016

Hi Guys

Has anyone ever had any success filling pin holes in a sump?
I have 2 tiny holes right at the front that seep oil very slowly in my 2006 1.9D

RE: Sump leak - ron - 28-05-2016

You can repair it but the oil causes a problem.It has to be oil free.There are compounds around for the job.Is a new sump horribly expensive?

RE: Sump leak - kluch255 - 28-05-2016

(28-05-2016, 03:59 PM)ron Wrote:  You can repair it but the oil causes a problem.It has to be oil free.There are compounds around for the job.Is a new sump horribly expensive?

Not horribly expenive, you can get them for as little as £30 but I just changed the oil today and another 5 litres of that would add another £20 to the price.
I have purchased some epoxy metal weld so i will see how I get on with it, only cost £2 so has to be worth a go.

RE: Sump leak - ron - 29-05-2016

(28-05-2016, 04:27 PM)kluch255 Wrote:  
(28-05-2016, 03:59 PM)ron Wrote:  You can repair it but the oil causes a problem.It has to be oil free.There are compounds around for the job.Is a new sump horribly expensive?

Not horribly expenive, you can get them for as little as £30 but I just changed the oil today and another 5 litres of that would add another £20 to the price.
I have purchased some epoxy metal weld so i will see how I get on with it, only cost £2 so has to be worth a go.
You'll need to drain oil & clean metal well for the epoxy resin to stick,so why not go for the new sump? You can put the oil back in if its new,just keep it clean.Just my humble opinion.

RE: Sump leak - Col - 29-05-2016

Agree with Ron!!

RE: Sump leak - Johny555 - 29-05-2016

Had that with my old combo,new oil change then sump decided to leak,replaced sump and just put the old oil back,because the oil was only about a week old,

RE: Sump leak - kluch255 - 31-05-2016

The holes are high enough up the sump that Im confident that I can clean all the oil and crud from the area enough to get a good bond so I will give it a go before spending anymore cash and get back to you all.

RE: Sump leak - polar - 31-05-2016

Wash the sump off with some brake wash first

RE: Sump leak - kluch255 - 31-05-2016

Funnily enough i bought some brake cleaner this morning Wink

RE: Sump leak - dumdum - 01-06-2016

If it's a steel sump with pin holes you'll be chasing them! It's rust and will just go somewhere else within months id bet! You'll have to drain the oil anyway, just catch it and put it back in with new sump, brake cleaner will seep in the holes and then dilute the oil on the inside making it thinner and more prone to running out, enjoy your fruitful task, this is one occasion where do a job once do it right is very applicable