Berlingo Forum
New berlingo- which engine to go for? - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Berlingo Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: New berlingo- which engine to go for? (/thread-13895.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: New berlingo- which engine to go for? - ghost123uk - 01-10-2016

(12-07-2016, 06:55 PM)polar Wrote:  It was only early 1.6hdi that had problems all sorted now by design/oil

Do you know when, as in what year, the 1.6HDi motor changed so as to become a "no problem" engine please.

RE: New berlingo- which engine to go for? - polar - 01-10-2016

(01-10-2016, 10:10 AM)ghost123uk Wrote:  
(12-07-2016, 06:55 PM)polar Wrote:  It was only early 1.6hdi that had problems all sorted now by design/oil

Do you know when, as in what year, the 1.6HDi motor changed so as to become a "no problem" engine please.

Dont get too hung up on this as the biggest problem with the early ones was the wrong oil specification. Yes they did do some slight modifications from 2010 onwards but nothing major. 

What matters more is a good service history just as with any vehicle - and you can always tell if a vehicle has been looked after by looking over it - if its tidy with a good service history buy it. 

Ive seen the early 1.6hdis with 300k on them and still going strong with no problems so dont believe all the BS you see on the net.  

I own a 2008 myself and its a great engine also very good on fuel.

RE: New berlingo- which engine to go for? - Johny555 - 01-10-2016

What about leaky injectors,or has that been sorted out,I'm looking to up grade to a b9,but was worried about,turbo,and leaking injectors,

RE: New berlingo- which engine to go for? - polar - 01-10-2016

They came loose from new as long as they are tightened they are fine - obviously if you are looking to buy a 1.6hdi make sure the injectors are not leaking then just tighten them with a 7mm allen key the ball type so you can get in. The later ones use a star type headed bolt.

RE: New berlingo- which engine to go for? - jj9 - 01-10-2016

From what I've read the 1.6 engines that had a DPF fitted suffer more from Turbo problems than the none DPF versions.

The 92 hp none DPF being the most reliable as it has a fixed vane Turbo and no dual mass flywheel to go wrong...but I stand to be corrected on this info if I have it wrong ?

Generally, 
The 1.6 HDi engine has a small oil capacity so change it every 6000 miles or twice a year regardless of mileage, if changing the oil more frequently no need to use expensive " Long Life " oil !. (DPF's need low ash oil)

The sump design is poor in that not all of the old oil is not removed during an oil change, so the remaining oil contaminates the new, all the more reason to change it more often!

Just my findings.

Wink

RE: New berlingo- which engine to go for? - BenjamineDupont - 08-10-2016

It was only early 1.6hdi that had problems all sorted now by design/oil - sounds a good price just buy the one that is the best deal for you.

RE: New berlingo- which engine to go for? - CourierJim - 08-10-2016

I drove a non-DPF 90 hp L2 B9 for 343,000 miles on courier work and only had one slight injector leak, and that was cured by tightening the retaining allen screw to 25 Nm. I did have one turbo go on me, but that was fixed with a refurbed unit for about £400. I had to replace the exhaust manifold to cylinder head gasket which cost about £3.50 in parts, but needed 2 full days of my labour lol! When I had removed the turbo/manifold assembly to renew the gasket, I discovered the turbo oil feed pipe partially blocked at the bottom by what looked like black plasticky sump sealing compound. This probably explains why my turbo failed. My Nephew has owned this old van of mine for over a year now, and uses it as his daily commute to work, and has had no mechanical problems at all yet.

I now have another 90 hp L2 B9 (110,000 miles to date and no problems), and find 90 hp more than enough to power me all day at 75mph up and down hills on the motorways, and it still has enough in reserve to quickly accelerate well beyond that speed, in order to get past the clowns who decide to accelerate when they suddenly realise that they are being overtaken by a van! (don't ask me why they do it, but they do lol!).