Berlingo Forum
Starting Issues - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Starting Issues (/thread-13950.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Starting Issues - Vossy1 - 22-07-2016

Today I've had some starting issues with my 2006 1.6HDi Berlingo and wanted to canvas opinion (I've looked at previous topics).
Issue, couldn't start car,
4 times nothing at all, once with a click (relay) and then started.
3 times with nothing at all, once with a click and then started.
I'm going to test the battery (its at least 4 years old) at rest and with the engine running tomorrow, would you suspect the starter motor yet?
All battery terminals are fine, no corrosion and all earths fine too, wiring to starter fine.

EDIT....Nothing at all means dash lights on

RE: Starting Issues - Col - 22-07-2016

Sounds like starter (or connections) is prime candidate.

RE: Starting Issues - Johny555 - 22-07-2016

Make sure battery is OK,then go for starter motor

RE: Starting Issues - Jed Clampit - 22-07-2016

As they say battery first then look at the starter .

RE: Starting Issues - Vossy1 - 23-07-2016

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. My Berlingo's due it's annual jaunt to the South of France in 2 weeks so I might just replace the battery anyway as it's over 4 years old, I'll still test it later. My reasoning for this is that my last battery went very oddly, me having to call the RAC twice in similar circumstances but the battery showed no faults under testing until it finally went and they diagnosed a collapsing cell....still 2 batts for 10 years is o.k.
Thinking about this last night the wife reminded me this has happened once before last year in France after stopping to refuel after 4 hours straight at 80+MPH. To me this sounds like it may be a hot starting fault as yesterday was also after a motorway hour long journey. I've had a quick look round and batt/started/cam sensor are all suspects (cam sensor replaced in last 12 months) so maybe rule that out.
More questions than answers at the mo...lol but with that long journey due I want to stay on top of it!

RE: Starting Issues - Col - 23-07-2016

(23-07-2016, 07:20 AM)Vossy1 Wrote:  Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. My Berlingo's due it's annual jaunt to the South of France in 2 weeks so I might just replace the battery anyway as it's over 4 years old, I'll still test it later. My reasoning for this is that my last battery went very oddly, me having to call the RAC twice in similar circumstances but the battery showed no faults under testing until it finally went and they diagnosed a collapsing cell....still 2 batts for 10 years is o.k.
Thinking about this last night the wife reminded me this has happened once before last year in France after stopping to refuel after 4 hours straight at 80+MPH. To me this sounds like it may be a hot starting fault as yesterday was also after a motorway hour long journey. I've had a quick look round and batt/started/cam sensor are all suspects (cam sensor replaced in last 12 months) so maybe rule that out.
More questions than answers at the mo...lol but with that long journey due I want to stay on top of it!

Cam sensor won't prevent engine from cranking (nor would crank sensor) and unlikely to be battery if you've driven for 4 hrs and won't restart.

RE: Starting Issues - Vossy1 - 23-07-2016

What bothers me Col is that it happened once last Sept then nothing until Friday. The Friday trip is done at least once or twice a week, always the same routine, I would have thought a degenerating starter motor would show more regularity in failure, but I'd rather change it than break down in France because of it...ha ha.

RE: Starting Issues - Col - 23-07-2016

As per my 1st answer Starter or wiring to it.
Check all earth points are good and battery + cable to starter. After that I would be looking at starter, Once a battery is knackered-That's it! You won't get it failing in Sept and then not again til now. Batteries always have the highest demand put on them in winter- Thick oil in engine - cell voltage lower due to temp - more use of electrical demands etc:

RE: Starting Issues - Vossy1 - 24-07-2016

(23-07-2016, 10:42 PM)Col Wrote:  As per my 1st answer Starter or wiring to it.
Check all earth points are good and battery + cable to starter. After that I would be looking at starter, Once a battery is knackered-That's it! You won't get it failing in Sept and then not again til now. Batteries always have the highest demand put on them in winter- Thick oil in engine - cell voltage lower due to temp - more use of electrical demands etc:

Hmm, just checked the battery, the car hasn't been used since Friday but did have a good hour run x 2 on the motorway then
The batteries reading 12.25v at rest. My Haynes manual states charge condition for sealed batts (section 5A) poor = 12.5v, Normal = 12.6v and Good 12.7v, battery with engine running ie with alternator 14.16v.
Agree re intermittent fault not being battery.

As a aside Col, can I just check, if you have a M59 does it have 2 small square cut outs in the front of the wheel arch liner to gain access to the bumper retaining clips/nuts?

RE: Starting Issues - Col - 25-07-2016

(24-07-2016, 11:17 AM)Vossy1 Wrote:  As a aside Col, can I just check, if you have a M59 does it have 2 small square cut outs in the front of the wheel arch liner to gain access to the bumper retaining clips/nuts?
No it doesn't