Berlingo Forum
[Engine] 2.0hdi crank sensor - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: [Engine] 2.0hdi crank sensor (/thread-15682.html)

2.0hdi crank sensor - Derekg - 24-06-2017

Recently had to change the crank sensor on my 2.0hdi after it failed. Working out what had failed was a bit of a nightmare but when I purchased the car (Partner 03) the previous had had the RAC diagnose crank sensor failure but when I bought it started and ran for a year and a month , with the occasional refusal to start but turn off and on normally had it going. Well anyway back to the nonstarting , I had a Xsara picasso in the garden which is also 2.0hdi so had some spares that could be swapped over. After a lot of swearing had the crank sensor off the Pic and knowing how fiddly it was on that did not look forward to doing the same on the Partner but just bit the bullet and had a go. Without diagnostics it was a change and try method, was pleasantly surprised and pleased when I tried the key and it started straight away. Did the crank first because it was the harder one than the cam sensor.
Give it a run from Sheffield to Wakefield and a few were noticed,
1 it quieter,
2 it was smoother especially when in 4th at 30mph when before had to change down due to juddering,
3 it seems to have a bit more get up and go but that might be me imagining things.

As the car has done 194,000 miles and the Pic similar will be getting new sensor as can be had for £12 to £15 so worth the expense.
Upon reading some info on these sensors it appears that if crank sensor not working properly engine will not start but cam sensor engine will sometimes run but rough.

Derekg

RE: 2.0hdi crank sensor - geoff - 24-06-2017

A good result thanks for sharing !

RE: 2.0hdi crank sensor - Derekg - 06-07-2017

Today Thurs 6/7/17 car started OK went to Sainsburys did shopping started again went to Wickes on coming out of Wickes non start. AA called, he plugged reader in diagnosed camshaft sensor. Towed me home fitted spare I had from Picasso still no go. Pic spare probably older than Partner item , so have ordered new ones. Hopefully sorts out the problem. Will let you know, but this after last Sunday driving down to London then onto Crawley and then back to Sheffield.

RE: 2.0hdi crank sensor - Derekg - 11-07-2017

(06-07-2017, 03:29 PM)Derekg Wrote:  Today Thurs 6/7/17 car started OK went to Sainsburys did shopping started again went to Wickes on coming out of Wickes non start. AA called, he plugged reader in diagnosed camshaft sensor. Towed me home fitted spare I had from Picasso still no go. Pic spare probably older than Partner item , so have ordered new ones. Hopefully sorts out the problem. Will let you know, but this after last Sunday driving down to London then onto Crawley and then back to Sheffield.
New sensors arrived fitted cam one first as easier to get to, tried starting car no joy. So dismantled things to get to crank sensor added a few swear words as well. Changed crank sensor engine started, good. Went back out to go to Asda seemed to not want to go but it did start so off we went. When I stopped in Asda tried to restart no joy, more swear words. AA called again , cleared fault code PO340 and engine started but scanner came up with the fault code PO340 immediately. PO340 is camshaft sensor and/or attached wiring to ECU. AA followed me home and went thru some diagrams with me and showed me where the wires go to on ECU. So next course of action is to check for breaks or short in wire.

But why when the code is cleared does it allow the engine to start any ideas anyone, hopefully someone else has seen this problem.

RE: 2.0hdi crank sensor - Derekg - 13-07-2017

Checked wiring to ECU all ok. Have noticed though there are 2 different sensors for the crankshaft , 1 is 400 Ohms and the other is 470 Ohms. As I might have said this is a Peugeot Partner 2.0 Hdi Siemens system. Going on EFI catalogue there are numerous part numbers for the camshaft so they all appear to fit. Any ideas anyone.

RE: 2.0hdi crank sensor - Derekg - 31-07-2017

I have over the last week checked and repaired a wire that had been abraded by rubbing on the plastic shield that protects it.
Replaced both cam and crank sensor , still no sync between them.
Reset the timing of the camshaft it was about 2mm out if that, checked by revolving the engine about 5 times still lined up.
Made sure the air gap on camshaft was 1.2mm.
When turning engine over with planet attached for live info shows that still no sync.
Measure of voltage at cam connector is
Pin1 +5volt
Pin2 signal 12volt
Pin3 -ground.
Crank show engine revolutions.

Any ideas!!!

RE: 2.0hdi crank sensor - peterbol - 06-02-2021

(31-07-2017, 09:55 AM)Derekg Wrote:  I have over the last week checked and repaired a wire that had been abraded by rubbing on the plastic shield that protects it.
Replaced both cam and crank sensor , still no sync between them.
Reset the timing of the camshaft it was about 2mm out if that, checked by revolving the engine about 5 times still lined up.
Made sure the air gap on camshaft was 1.2mm.
When turning engine over with planet attached for live info shows that still no sync.
Measure of voltage at cam connector is
Pin1 +5volt
Pin2 signal 12volt
Pin3 -ground.
Crank show engine revolutions.

Any ideas
Did you resolve this Derek ?

RE: 2.0hdi crank sensor - Sol - 06-02-2021

That user has not been on the site in a full year, not sure if you will get a reply to your question.

Possible causes for this fault are:

Cam belt jumped a tooth
Fuel pressure sensor faulty
Cam sensor not at correct gap from metal target (can be moved in or out)
Cam sensor wiring damaged from rubbing as it leaves the cam cover.

Needs DiagBox or PP to see if cam/crank sync says OK - if not, then it won't start and run properly. Most likely reason is cam sensor and it's wiring. Next is crank sensor. Try feeding it Bradex easy-start spray, into the intake while someone cranks it over, if it runs, then all mechanical bits must be good. It will cut out when you stop spraying if the sensors or wiring are faulty but will run while you continue to spray into the intake.

RE: 2.0hdi crank sensor - peterbol - 06-02-2021

Thanks the reply and info Zion, I think I will start a new thread for my current fault, can I just ask what type are the connectors for sensors on the engine in particularly the crank sensor connector? TIA

RE: 2.0hdi crank sensor - Sol - 06-02-2021

I think (not as familiar with the 2.0) that they will be a two or three pin locking plug as is usual on these kind of sensors. I believe the crank sensor is harder to get to.

You can try putting your VIN number into http://www.catcar.info and searching the diagrams for layouts, sensor locations and part numbers. Remember to change the language to English.