Berlingo Forum
[Engine] ENGINE WONT START WHEN HOT - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M49 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: [Engine] ENGINE WONT START WHEN HOT (/thread-17054.html)

ENGINE WONT START WHEN HOT - DMD - 14-06-2018

ENGINE WONT START WHEN HOT

Hi, I have a Berlingo van – 600 HDI 1598CC 2008. Not sure if its the M49 or the M59.
Problem is:- Starts fine from cold and up to normal/hot running temp around 20-30 mins of running, then it wont restart until its cooled down again.
When you turn the key there is no cranking, all panel lights come on.
I’ve tested the alternator and battery they seem good and used a code reader – no codes found.
Someone said it sounds like the magnetic switch on the starter is faulty – change starter.
Any suggestions/help would be great, thanks.

RE: ENGINE WONT START WHEN HOT - Gravity - 14-06-2018

First suspect is usually the CPS, but as your's won't crank at all when hot, I'd check the earth lead and exciter wire to the starter first.

The CPS sometimes goes open circuit when hot, and this sends a signal to the Ecu which then cuts out the engine. The signal remains until the CPS cools down, thus closing its circuitry. Then you can again start and drive normally until it gets hot once more.

Worth checking those first - not too costly to replace CPS if found faulty. A good code reader will help - not all code readers are the same.

Those are general comments applicable to many engines. Someone else on here with more experience of your installation might have a better suggestion.

RE: ENGINE WONT START WHEN HOT - dan.wfs - 17-06-2018

Crank sensor is usually always the case, but like Gravity said it should not stop the starter motor from cranking, It does sound to be something else. The only common fault I can think of that would prevent your starter from turning would be the immobiliser, but that would not make any sense with your situation.

This may sound really stupid, but it may give us some clues, have you tried bump starting the van down a hill to see if the engine starts whilst hot? It would be a good indication if this is a starter issue or not.

RE: ENGINE WONT START WHEN HOT - geoff - 17-06-2018

Sounds like the starter to me.

Do you get a sound from the starter solenoid when you turn the key - perhaps have an assistant turn the key whilst you have the bonnet up ?

RE: ENGINE WONT START WHEN HOT - DMD - 21-06-2018

(17-06-2018, 03:51 PM)geoff Wrote:  Sounds like the starter to me.

Do you get a sound from the starter solenoid when you turn the key - perhaps have an assistant turn the key whilst you have the bonnet up ?

Hi Geoff, it was the starter, thanks.

(17-06-2018, 10:51 AM)dan.wfs Wrote:  Crank sensor is usually always the case, but like Gravity said it should not stop the starter motor from cranking, It does sound to be something else. The only common fault I can think of that would prevent your starter from turning would be the immobiliser, but that would not make any sense with your situation.

This may sound really stupid, but it may give us some clues, have you tried bump starting the van down a hill to see if the engine starts whilst hot? It would be a good indication if this is a starter issue or not.

Hi Dan, it was the starter, thanks.

(14-06-2018, 10:24 AM)Gravity Wrote:  First suspect is usually the CPS, but as your's won't crank at all when hot, I'd check the earth lead and exciter wire to the starter first.

The CPS sometimes goes open circuit when hot, and this sends a signal to the  Ecu which then cuts out the engine. The signal remains until the CPS cools down, thus closing its circuitry. Then you can again start and drive normally until it gets hot once more.

Worth checking those first - not too costly to replace CPS if found faulty. A good code reader will help - not all code readers are the same.

Those are general comments applicable to many engines. Someone else on here with more experience of your installation might have a better suggestion.

Hi Gravity, it was the starter, thanks.

RE: ENGINE WONT START WHEN HOT - dan.wfs - 22-06-2018

(21-06-2018, 03:01 PM)DMD Wrote:  
(17-06-2018, 10:51 AM)dan.wfs Wrote:  Crank sensor is usually always the case, but like Gravity said it should not stop the starter motor from cranking, It does sound to be something else. The only common fault I can think of that would prevent your starter from turning would be the immobiliser, but that would not make any sense with your situation.

Hi Dan, it was the starter, thanks.
Glad you got it sorted buddy

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk