Berlingo Forum
[Engine] Screaching/grinding intermittant noise - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: [Engine] Screaching/grinding intermittant noise (/thread-18077.html)

Screaching/grinding intermittant noise - bossdaddy - 15-04-2019

Hello everyone, my 1st ever post so here goes. I have a 2003 (m59 I think) berlingo multispace 1.9D. I have had it since new and I love it.
A couple of weeks ago, while coming up a hill near home the car started chugging and died. The diesel gauge said 1/4 tank so didn't think it was fuel. As it turned out after getting picked up by a recovery truck and towed to a garage (the tech said it sounds and felt like no fuel) I put in £50 and after a bit of priming it started and all was good. Left it running at home on the drive for 1/2 hour. All good.
The next time I used the car was 5-6 days later, and when I started it there was a terrible screeching noise. I immediately turned it off and started it again, same noise so I revved the engine and it went away. Fan belt maybe I thought?. This happened on nearly every time I started the vehicle and a quick rev up and it went away.
Now this screeching/grinding noise is happening more often, it does it when driving sometimes. other times while on tickover. I'm disabled so bending over the engine bay is a problem at times. My son says the noise is coming from the right hand side of the engine bay (ie opposite the belts). But he could be wrong??
This has only started happening since I ran out of fuel. I have tried pumping the fuel primer a few times and MAYBE this helped make the noise go away but not too sure.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RE: Screaching/grinding intermittant noise - cancunia - 15-04-2019

Maybe air has got into the fuel line & getting into the fuel injector pump? If the primer is helping then that's a possibility.
I'm not really that familiar with the 1.9 so don't know if there's a separate lifter pump from the tank.
There's a workshop manual you can find on here, maybe that'll have some pointers about the fuel system. Also check the fuel filter as you may have pulled some muck through from the tank..

RE: Screaching/grinding intermittant noise - bossdaddy - 15-04-2019

(15-04-2019, 11:30 AM)cancunia Wrote:  Maybe air has got into the fuel line & getting into the fuel injector pump? If the primer is helping then that's  a possibility.
I'm not really that familiar with the 1.9 so don't know if there's a separate lifter pump from the tank.
There's a workshop manual you can find on here, maybe that'll have some pointers about the fuel system. Also check the fuel filter as you may have pulled some muck through from the tank..

Hello there and thanks for the reply. I was thinking something similar but not really sure if pumping the primer helps or its just a coincidence, also would it screech like it does?. The noise it makes is really an attention getter!! Yes definitely getting the filter changed.
Thanks again.

Another mpg question 1.9d - dannybee - 15-04-2019

Could it be separate issues ? Noise from how you describe it sounds like the fan belt needs tensioning or replacing. Maybe the fuel thing was a separate issue

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

RE: Screaching/grinding intermittant noise - bossdaddy - 15-04-2019

That was definitely my first thought, especially as, at first it went away after revving the engine but on inspection the belt seems tight and in good condition. Doing my head in.

RE: Screaching/grinding intermittant noise - dannybee - 15-04-2019

(15-04-2019, 08:11 PM)bossdaddy Wrote:  That was definitely my first thought, especially as, at first it went away after revving the engine but on inspection the belt seems tight and in good condition. Doing my head in.
Try spraying some wd on it next time it squeals does sound like a belt though. I've had this on other cars where the belt has looked fine but needed replacing. The last one was a vauxhall alt belt looked fine but when removed the tensioner was in 3 peices

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

RE: Screaching/grinding intermittant noise - brodfather11 - 16-04-2019

Things that go screetch are alternators and idlers at the drivers side and clutch release bearings at the passenger side.

I've heard the clutch release bearing give out an odd squeal now and again as it starts to wear away the fingers on the clutch release plate

If the high pressure fuel pump screetched then it wouldn't go and the 1.9d doesn't have a separate fuel lift pump.

RE: Screaching/grinding intermittant noise - bossdaddy - 16-04-2019

Very interesting, all this gives me somewhere to start. I am much obliged to everyone. Is it the done thing to post when I find out what the problem actually is?. Thanks again.

RE: Screaching/grinding intermittant noise - cancunia - 16-04-2019

(16-04-2019, 09:01 AM)bossdaddy Wrote:  Very interesting, all this gives me somewhere to start. I am much obliged to everyone. Is it the done thing to post when I find out what the problem actually is?. Thanks again.

Yeah, would be nice to know how you get on as it'll help others. One way to check if it's the clutch release bearing is to see if the noise changes when you press on the clutch pedal.

RE: Screaching/grinding intermittant noise - polar - 16-04-2019

Brodfarther11 has your answer mate ^^^^

You need to get your head under the bonnet and have a listen and look - careful your fingers!!!!!!!!!