Berlingo Forum
Citroën Berlingo - horn not working - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: B9 Second Generation (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Citroën Berlingo - horn not working (/thread-19649.html)

Pages: 1 2

Citroën Berlingo - horn not working - Adamberlingo111 - 05-07-2020

Hi, I have just bought a Citroen Berlingo enterprise van 1.6D 2012. There was no owners manual with the van. The horn does not work and was wondering if it could be a fuse, I looked under the bonnet and there are two slots that seem to have missing fuses? Has anyone had a similar issue with the horn?

RE: Citroën Berlingo - horn not working - Sol - 06-07-2020

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Before you hunt down a fuse for the horn, check that it's not a known issue with a bad earth to the steering column. Run a length of wire from a good clean metal part of the steering column to a clean body earth and try the horn then.

The "missing" fuses could be dummies, are there metal tags visible in the slots or are they just plastic holders for spare fuses? I don't have the fuse layout to hand.

The handbook doesn't have the fuse layout as I remember. I'll post it here for you when I come across it, unless another kind soul posts it first.

RE: Citroën Berlingo - horn not working - Adamberlingo111 - 06-07-2020

(06-07-2020, 06:44 AM)Hi Zion Wrote:  Hi and welcome to the forum.

Before you hunt down a fuse for the horn, check that it's not a known issue with a bad earth to the steering column. Run a length of wire from a good clean metal part of the steering column to a clean body earth and try the horn then.

The "missing" fuses could be dummies, are there metal tags visible in the slots or are they just plastic holders for spare fuses? I don't have the fuse layout to hand.

The handbook doesn't have the fuse layout as I remember. I'll post it here for you when I come across it, unless another kind soul posts it first.
Hi Zion, 

Thanks for your help. Do you have the same model of van? Do you have a fuse layout diagram? Does the Citroen Berlingo have a fuse layout? All my cars have had a diagram on the back of the plastic cover of the fuse box. Sorry if it’s a stupid question but what sort of wire do I need? I will have a closer look at the empty slots in the bonnet fuse box.

I have the B9 van on 2012 reg so yeah same motor mate. I'll have a look in my documentation now for a fuse layout.

The reason for mentioning the empty slots is sometimes they are actually not wired underneath and are dummies depending on the model spec. Wire for the horn, can be 1.5mm or 2.5mm - anything you can get your hands on and put a ring crimp on the ends and connect the steering column steelwork to the body on a good earth point. I know there is an issue with some vehicles losing the earth connection there and others have fixed it with that method.

For info, horns have a live sent straight to the horn unit itself (engine bay near the grill / chassis leg) and the earth return goes back to the steering wheel horn button so you are grounding the return to sound the horn, not supplying power, it should already be there at the horn itself.

I should have said that earlier, so if you have a meter, tester or even a 12v bulb or LED with 2 longish wires attached, you can test this. One of the two wires to the horn will have 12v on it all the time - the other is the earth so one of them should read 12v to earth, constantly, earthing the other one sets the horn off. Hope that helps.

I'll post a fuse layout asap.

https://fuse-box.info/citroen/citroen-berlingo-ii-2008-2018-fuses

RE: Citroën Berlingo - horn not working - Tomcat3 - 06-07-2020

The poor earth afflicted the model before yours it was the M59 models mainly but as Zion said its worth eliminating with a temp earth lead it only takes a minute to try. I seem to remember there has been a few on here had issues with the actual horn packing in on the B9 models so it may be worth checking out the horn I think its behind the nearside front bumper, you may have to remove the inner wing liner to get at it.

RE: Citroën Berlingo - horn not working - Sol - 13-07-2020

To anyone who gets here looking for the same issue, or fuse layouts, I've attached a document (2 actually) showing the stated layout of the B9 fuses and another for the C4GP (C4 Grand Picasso on which the B9 is based) as it actually resembles the B9 very closely and the one online that is meant to be for the B9, does not. Apologies to the OP for the incorrect information, it was found online but doesn't look right (who knew the internet could have wrong info on it....)

So, just in case the layout changed from one to the other on a certain year - here are both versions in Word format. Handy to print off and keep in the glovebox for that time when a fuse blows on the road and you don't have a signal, or can't find the information online. Sometimes paper is good.

RE: Citroën Berlingo - horn not working - evdama - 04-10-2023

I've just fixed mine.
What a fiasco.
Thanks greatly to Zion for the info
But.... The fuse is the very very first port of call.
Easy to find ,checked it ,held it up to the light,it was fine.
Appeared fine.
Temp earth bond from steering column to the jump lead post in the engine bay-made no difference.
Airbag off,remade horn connection.No difference.
NSF wheel and arch liner off, broke most of the 13yr old fixings along the way,finally found horn.
Buried deep.You need to be a mutant handed dwarf gynacologist with x-ray vision to remove the wires.
Sitting in a heap of despair the OH brought me a coffee.
Have you checked the fuse she says ?

If course I checked the f fuse I replied.

Are you sure it's ok?

YES!

She dug around in the glove box and found a bag of fuses.
Insisted I should put a new one in just in case
I did just to get rid of her.
Guess what?
Delight and embarrassment is a heady mix

Anyone got a part number for the wheel arch mushroom fasteners?

RE: Citroën Berlingo - horn not working - shtu - 04-10-2023

(04-10-2023, 11:23 AM)evdama Wrote:  You need to be a mutant handed dwarf gynacologist with x-ray vision to remove the wires.

Fancy refitting my starter motor?

(04-10-2023, 11:23 AM)evdama Wrote:  Anyone got a part number for the wheel arch mushroom fasteners?

These? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372590094280

RE: Citroën Berlingo - horn not working - evdama - 04-10-2023

No thanks I had to replace a headlamp bulb in my mk2.
Thanks for the eBay link -perfect